Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Processing Colour, C41, Easy?

Processing Colour, C41, Easy?

So i'm throwing this out there, processing C41 at home is easy.

What do you think?

Here is a new short film showing my workflow from shooting to printing, well digital printing.

In the next few weeks i'm going to make a more detailed short on the actual process of developing your own C-41, as part of a demo i'm doing at Silverprint.

It would be interesting to have peoples thoughts about processing their own colour film.

Any thoughts, musings or mumblings you have let me know. I can then construct a video that will actually help.

Cheers,

Morgan ~ MOD54.

Re: Processing Colour, C41, Easy?

No more difficult than b+w. Temp control is the only hurdle. I believe there are several videos on the web covering it well so that may be a place to start.

I develop all my own C41 (and E6) - as you say it is easy

Tetenal baby... the 5 liter kit is all liquid kit and mixes easily ... i wish i could do a movie like that... experimented with mod54 over JOBO ... mod54 is no beter than JOBO except in one category... its cheaper a lot cheaper. Kodak Ektar film seems to do beter at this kind of work flo... with Tetenal contrast like Velvia and it scans better than other films... in my opinion :-)

WOW about time Morgan welcome to the LM.... I have done some extensive testing with the mod54. I only have one complaint, Well actually two related... my mod54 came unglued in shipping... had to glue it back together before i could use.... little flimsy i am afraid if i drop it; it will break ... needs more heft or thinker plastic... but i use mine a lot... sold the JOBO

Hey Mike,

Sorry about that, I would like to say that out of the 1000 that i've made i think yours might be the only one. They are all hand made by me, so there is some human error!

But back to the thread-

Glad you guys are finding c41 easy, but i think alot of people are afraid of doing it. My mission this month is to try and show that its not that hard.

Anyone in London should come to a little demo i'm doing at Silverprint at the end of the month 26 th July, if you would like a run through of colour processing.

Has anyone tested bad practice? like the temps being all wrong, etc? if the bath is too cool how much affect does it have?

At the moment i'm using a two stage dev kit, which is fine, but quite contrasty, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Morgan.

more MOD54 on facebook-

http://www.facebook.com/Mod54

NAW not a bad one i think .....glued it back together and i was up and running

LOL LOL "tested bad practice" made a few mistakes in processing... Tetenal is very forgiving in my experience. little bit of color cross over ... spots.... i have seen a few problems with processing error.... nothing i did on purpose.... lol...

try Ektar .. it is contrasty but alot like Velvia when scanned ..Ektar is also a T grain film scans well because of this.....

I looked at the shooting film. Is it supposed to run at warp speed?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The the temperature aspect is really the only part of color film developing that can be difficult.

I just ordered one of these to make the water bath much easier to control.

http://www.aquacave.com/300W-Titaniu...hers-P988.aspx
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan O'Donovan ~ MOD54 View Post
    Hey Mike,

At the moment i'm using a two stage dev kit, which is fine, but quite contrasty, any thoughts?

http://www.facebook.com/Mod54
    I'm using the Fuji Hunt kit and am getting really good results, consistent, long latitude negs