Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is FLUID MOUNT Scanning?

Re: What is FLUID MOUNT Scanning?

You can wet mount on anything and you can ruin anything if you're sloppy. I'd not worry about it at first, get your workflow figured out and work simply, then you'll be able to try it and see if it is worth it to you.

Just get the Epson 700 unless the prices are close to the 750 (the 750 is just some bs marketing and extras of dubious value).

thanks Frank!

This is a technique that's surprisingly old in fact it was first used in the late 1920's to get the best from 35mm negatives. There's an article published in 1927 on wet mounting negatives against glass for the reduction of graininess in enlargements

Two things affect the apparent graininess (as opposed to film grain) found in prints and also scans. The first is the inherent grain structure of the film and the second is usually overlooked but it's the structure of the surface of the emulsion after the whole process cycle. In recent years Kodak and Fuji have caught Ilford up (possibly gone past) in the hardening of emulsions during manufacture.

Ian

The oil or fluid used in this process, does it accrete on the negatives? How do I wash my negatives after this process?

Quote Originally Posted by senderoaburrido View Post
    The oil or fluid used in this process, does it accrete on the negatives? How do I wash my negatives after this process?
    See this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...es-in-scanning

FWIW, I was given an Epson fluid scanning station for Christmas and will be placing an order with Aztek in the New Year. I'll report back with my results after I give wet-scanning a go.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

If you use something like the Kami fluid from Aztek it evaporates quickly from both film and glass. Not a bad idea to clean the glass occasionally IMHO but more because you'll probably get fingerprints all over it sooner or later.

I always wet mounted on my Epson, so far I don't see the need on my "new" (well, new to me) IQsmart II. On average it took me under 30 seconds to wet mount a 4 x 5 or 5 x 7 negative, so take the talk about how difficult it is with a big grain of salt. It's only as hard as you want to make it.

Just an FYI, many people are now are using Gamsol as a scanning fluid. It is cheap, available at most art stores, avoids hazardous shipping charges and appears from material safety data sheet comparisons to be the same makeup as the really expensive commercial fluid.

I have put together a list to create your own economical scanning fluid kit here:
    http://www.betterscanning.com/scanni...dmounting.html

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    Just an FYI, many people are now are using Gamsol as a scanning fluid. It is cheap, available at most art stores, avoids hazardous shipping charges and appears from material safety data sheet comparisons to be the same makeup as the really expensive commercial fluid.

I have put together a list to create your own economical scanning fluid kit here:
    http://www.betterscanning.com/scanni...dmounting.html

Doug
    I notice you recommend hobby store mylar. Have you compared the Aztek product to bog-standard mylar? Do you think it's worth the higher price, or just marketing?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

My experience has been with sheets bought from the art supply store. It is branded as Dura-Lar and is also a bi-axially oriented polyester sheet material that was good (make sure you are getting the plain/clear version). I can't offer insights on other manufacturers/brands that other stores might carry. Given the price difference, it is worth your time to do a test to confirm for yourself that it meets your expectations.

One slight negative is that you get the best value by purchasing it in the largest sheet possible. That will require cutting down to size which is a bit of a hassle. When you buy from the store, make sure they give you the protective tissue sheets for BOTH sides of the sheet to minimize the chance of scratching during transit and storage.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com