Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetplate field shot from 24x32 Chamonix

Wetplate field shot from 24x32 Chamonix

Big brings big problem, I need to use a basketball to pour collodion and my 4x6 trailor doesn't fit any more. Setting up everything is a pain, but the plates are very rewarding. With Chamonix, I can still operate a camera at such size alone in the field. I envy those who can afford personal assistants~~
    The camera took more than 6 months to make but it was worth waiting. They also built a matching silver box for me which is also lightweight and water tight. I can just close the lid and drive on after each shooting. I will be doing some series shooting in China for the next month. Will post some pictures in August.

This is done by a 19" Dagor pulled all the way up. It is nice to find that this lens can almost cover 2432! Great lens, you have to look at the original plate to appreciate Dagor! I will be using the 24" Dagor as well down the road. This is alluminum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b1.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	76458

Zebra

Re: Wetplate field shot from 24x32 Chamonix

You rock Tuant. I can't wait to see your work from China!! I know what you mean about using a basketball, I've long used a soccer ball for my 20 x 24's. Especially with the aluminum plates that bend quite a bit without some substrate underneath which of course makes it heavier to hand hold. Beautiful first plate.

Can't wait to cross paths one day,

monty

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    You rock Tuant. I can't wait to see your work from China!! I know what you mean about using a basketball, I've long used a soccer ball for my 20 x 24's. Especially with the aluminum plates that bend quite a bit without some substrate underneath which of course makes it heavier to hand hold. Beautiful first plate.

Can't wait to cross paths one day,

monty
    Thanks, Monty! Too bad about David! Now your gang is one short. I hope we can cross paths soon!

Attaching a coule more: this is Nate, a good friend who agreed to pose for me for test shots. There is some contamination issue which I solved later.

Name:	b2.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	76459

The left one is exactly 1:1.

Name:	b3.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	76460

This is just far too small and needs to be bigger

Superb plates. A while back I saw a photograph of Haas with a huge camera of similar proportions to yours on the Xitek forums. Couldn't find any info about the camera on the Chamonix website. Glad to know they build custom sizes. Congrats on the camera and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by tuant View Post
    Thanks, Monty! Too bad about David! Now your gang is one short. I hope we can cross paths soon!
    Yes David remains a rather large hole in my life. He is missed to be sure. Our group gathers in about three weeks and it will be our first gathering without him present. I am both looking forward to it and apprehensive about it at the same time if that is possible. Our group has another show coming up in New York in November so we will continue to get to show with David which is an honor for me as his work remains the anchor to the group is so many ways. Thanks for the kind words about David.

best,

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by dsim View Post
    Superb plates. A while back I saw a photograph of Haas with a huge camera of similar proportions to yours on the Xitek forums. Couldn't find any info about the camera on the Chamonix website. Glad to know they build custom sizes. Congrats on the camera and looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    Thanks! That must be my post over there~~ Chamonix has been constantly experimenting with wetplate camera. The one you saw on line are for film only. They made only 10 1620 wetplate cameras in the spring and sold them all. The next batch of 1620 may be ready at the end of the year. Let me know if you are interested. I can help hooking up.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    This is just far too small and needs to be bigger
    Actually you are right, a freind of mine is working on the side of his truck and you know what that is all about

wooow impressive!