Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I store and protect my LF lens lenses?

How do I store and protect my LF lens lenses?

What can I use to protect my LF lenses? The standard lens cases for 35mm,etc lenses dont fit my LF lenses with the lens boards attached. I am not thrilled with the idea of 'lens wraps', as I think a hard case would be better and I am worried that they may unwrap in transit.

My lensboards are 3x3 inch. Is there something available dedicated to LF lenses? Im open to DIY ideas also.

Dave Karp

I have used two methods to store my lenses. At first I kept them in Rubbermaid containers. I cut foam to fit inside the container, and then cut a hole for the rear element. Then I cut about 1/2 way into the height of the foam in the shape of my lensboards (Technika type). This works well and keeps dirt and dust away from the lens.

Now I use another method that does not protect against dust as well, but is a little more compact. I use plastic index card file boxes, with foam glued on either end, and a foam divider in the middle (when there is enough room for two lenses in the file box). Big wide angles like a 90mm f/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon N require their own box.

Both methods protect the lenses quite well when carried in my backpack.

If I was going to a really dusty place, I might break out my old Rubbermaid containers.

Hope this helps.

Beverly Hills, California

Also store shutter uncocked, with shutter at the "1 Sec" setting.

For my 6x6 inch lensboards I use insulated sandwich coolers. They are inexpensive, about the right size, insulated for protection, and zip shut. It is also soooo much fun to set up a large format camera and then pull the lens out of a case with Sponge-Bob printed on it. Besides, it doesn't hurt to have your equipment in cases that don't look like they are full of expensive items...

I tried just about every kind of container you can think of for carrying lenses and then I found what I was looking for. Gnass Gear - hands down the most intelligent and practical means of carrying and protecting large format lenses into the field. They come in two sizes. One fits 6x6 lens boards and the smaller ones fit 4x4 Canham or Linhof boards. You can adjust the velcro dividers to customize your needs and they can hold up to about five or six lenses depending upon their dimensions. Could not live without them.

They are not cheap, but a worthy investment in functionality. One case rather than five bulky ones and I can grab any lens that I want or shift from one to another in a moment without any hassle. They have a website.

Cheers!

A strong "second" to Michael's reply about Gnass Gear LF lens pouches. They are great.

SPONGEBOB!!!!! I GOTTA GET THOSE!

I found an insulated case for six packs of soda at my local wallyworld that works wonderfully for storing 6 inch lens board mounted lenses. Two lensboards w lenses fit into the slots where the dividers have been removed and a third lens fits above these two. There is also room for my loupe, my spot meter, my incident meter, cable release and viewing filter. Cost about $7.00 and change as I recall.

Also store shutter uncocked, with shutter at the "1 Sec" setting.

FWIW, I've heard you should store them with the aperture all the way open, shutter uncocked and on T. This is the way my new lenses have arrived, so maybe that's why I've heard it recommended. It may not make any difference, but that's how I store mine.

The Gnass Gear pouches look interesting.

Jean-Louis Llech

IMO, Justin Gnass'Multiple Lens Cases are the best solution for carrying lenses, on small or large lensboards.
    Here is his postal address :
    Justin Gnass & Company
    1718 Palm Avenue
    Chico, CA 95926 USA
    justin.gnass@gnassgear.com
    Phone : 530.894.5819
    Fax : 530.894.5640
    His website is at http://www.gnassgear.com/
    Don't try to send him an e-mail. He practically never answers. But his products are the best ones.