Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: T and B settings

Re: T and B settings

That's an anniversary model (or earlier--my lore doesn't go back that far and I can't remember when Graphic boards changed from a 4x4 plate-style board like this one to the thin shell style used on later Pacemakers), and as Dan says the lens dates from 1945.

I would want to check to make sure the solenoid isn't preventing the necessary movement of the shutter release by being too tight or something. If you are not going to use a flash, you could simply remove this solenoid and the linkage to the shutter, and then tape over the holes. (Also, tape over that hole on the board at lower left in the picture--that will leak light.)

The button at the top is the press-focus button. When the shutter is cocked, that button should open the shutter.

Also, the flash synchronizer is currently engaged. If you are not going to use a flash, slide that around to "off".

Rick "who'd try these things before coming to further conclusions" Denney
    Last edited by rdenney; 28-Jun-2012 at 12:45. Reason: Had to edit--made a big mistake based on Pacemaker thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    p.s. I hope that hole at the 7 o-clock position on your lensboard does not go all the way through.
    It doesn't. I didn't know until now, but I actually removed the whole front end, which I thought I would never do..

I have 1 more question if you don't mind.

Let's say for giggles, I get back some decent images from my test shots, and now I decide to move up, and get a stronger lens. Focal length wise that is. How do I determine what lens's I see on FleaBay will work with my camera? Are the lens's specific to the lens board I have? If so, what do I have? Sorry for the stupid question, but the lens and lens board of this stuff really confuses me.

Well, your first step is to stop being so clueless. Read this site's FAQs. Buy a book on LF. Or two books. Steve Simmons' Using the View Camera and Leslie Strobel's View Camera Technique are both recommended often. And since you have a Graphic, go to www.graflex.org and read their FAQs too.

Thanks Dan... Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfiltz View Post
    Thanks Dan... Love it.
    Well, Dan's right. All your questions above can be answered by a perusal of the homepage here.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Well, Dan's right. All your questions above can be answered by a perusal of the homepage here.
    Agreed

I'm reading this now.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-long.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pfiltz View Post
    Good start. If self-help, including reading Simmons or Strobel with your Graphic in front of you, fails, you may need tutoring. In that case, ask if there's a member located near you who'd be willing to have you visit and be shown things.

In my experience, bulletin boards are fine for delivering zingers but aren't so good for delivering masses of information. Books are much better, one-on-one tutoring is sometimes very effective.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Thank you Dan. I've never been fond of reading. Not sure why. I'm more of a hands on person per se. Everything I know has been self taught. I understand lighting, composition, etc... but this is my 2nd film camera, and my first is my RB67 which I bought 5 months ago.

I do think there are some folks in Nashville, I may try to hook up with sometime down the road. I really wanted a field camera, but opted for this one, to cut my teeth on.

I just printed this out, and intend on reading it later today. I'm trying to get a crash course on this 4x5 world, so I can take advantage of a trip to Seattle in Sept...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/portrait-lenses/

Regards,

Even people who prefer not to use books as references can put Graphic Graflex Photography by Willard Morgan and Henry Lester to good use. It does have lots of illustrations and a few articles by prominent photographers of that era. Editions through the 7th cover the Anniversary model and other contemporary Graphic and Graflex cameras. Later editions also include the Pacemaker series.