Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital thermometer?

Digital thermometer?

Any recommendations/links? Nothing too silly, just within spitting distance is good for me!

Re: Digital thermometer?

Dick Smith's usually have a good accurate and inexpensive probe digital thermometer.

Cheers Steve - I found one at DSE which was nice and cheap. Going to test it against a few other thermometers for accuracy. Might need a chat with you re BTZS sometime this weekend if you're about!

hacker extraordinaire

I have several of these. I am very happy with them. They are all within 1/2 degree of my Kodak process thermometer, waterproof, respond fast, and are cheap enough, and can cover the range from freezing to beer-mashing temps.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Co...9135145&sr=1-1
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I found a waterproof thermometer in a gormat food store. Make sure its waterproof. Cost was $14.00 US Dollars. In chekcing it against a color thermometer it was spot on and now is wat I use all the time!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

I've used a bunch of them. My favorite is: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...st/rt600c.html
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

I've had a few expensive ones over the years. The basic Kodak process thermometer works
    a lot faster and better.

I did a bunch of research on this... Most thermometers are repeatable. Very few are actually accurate. Often, they have NIST certifications. It's meaningless. I would also doubt the accuracy of any glass thermometer. (Kodak, shmodak.) Just understand that what you need is "repeatability". It doesn't really much matter what the temperature actually is - unless you are trying to help someone else, which is almost impossible since agitation differs so much, etc.

Some are accurate "at points". This means at 0C and 100C, usually. Doesn't help you at the temperature we like to develop at, around 20C or so. They don't even measure it.

The ones that are accurate cost around $500.

Given this, might be good to get something that won't break easily... so you can keep using it for a long time.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Drew Wiley

We used to have a scientific supplier just a couple blocks away who sold nothing but thermometers, an actual warehouse of all kinds of them, but mostly glass. And in this R&D town, the world epicenter of biotech and pharmaceutical research, plus UCB, you can be pretty certain those thermometers were damn accurate! But one gets what one pays for!

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    Cheers Steve - I found one at DSE which was nice and cheap. Going to test it against a few other thermometers for accuracy. Might need a chat with you re BTZS sometime this weekend if you're about!
    I have a couple of digital thermometers; I forget what brand. I've compared both with a Kodak process thermometer that I got years ago. They're pretty much linear, but closely matches the Kodak at about a single point or within a small range. So, I calibrate the digital thermometer to the Kodak at 70 deg.F, which is the temperature about which I really care. Within a few degrees of 70deg.F, it will still be very close.

So, which is off, the Kodak or the digital thermometer, I'm not sure? But the nice thing about the Kodak is that it's a constant I can use as a standard. I don't care about whether it's perfectly accurate, as long as it's repeatable. (Which it is.) When I do calibrations, everything adjusts around that standard.