Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to India for 3 weeks

Re: Going to India for 3 weeks

If you're determined to take along a larger format camera, a Mamiya TLR with interchangeable lenses would be a good idea and for 4x5, a field camera like the Wista/Toyo/Horseman, and perhaps, a 120 back as well would be easier to carry. Just remember that apart from Delhi (Mahatta & Co.) and the other metros, it will be difficult/impossible to find film and professional processing.

Kumar

"#1 DON'T DRINK THE BEER! It contains formaldhyde as a preservative and will make you sick as a dog.

Not my experience - Kingfisher is certainly OK

#2 DON'T EAT THE CORN FLAKES! Its gross served with warm milk.

Don't know

#3 Take along a bottle of Scotch should you need to "grease the wheels"( if you know what i mean.)

This is very doubtful advice - given security systems in flights now. Remember many of the non-hindu residents take their religion seriously. It is a bit like the old system of taking stockings and jeans into the Eastern Block in the 60's!

#4 Take along a package of US style toilet paper and give it to the Marines at the US Consulate, they'll be your friends for life!

Stay well away from official US offices. Use the soft toilet paper yourself.

#5 Respect the dignity of the poor. Really.

Yes.

#6 Keep away from the monkeys.

Yes. And from the many religious festivals - observe at a safe distance.

#7 Hire a guide (esecially the guys with beards and turbans)

While Sikhs have a good reputation, there are many helpful Indians around of all religions.

#8 Get your malaria tablets in India. The strains you find in India laughes at USA malaria tablets.

Don't know about this. Copy/Counterfeit products exist and most/all malaria profylactics require dossage before travel.

#9 Don't expect to convert your Indian money back into dollars when leaving the country---they won't do it and they won't let you take it out of the country either.

Yes currency exchange was still a nightmare in the 1990's anyway."

But well worth the trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by steven tribe View Post
    "#1 don't drink the beer! It contains formaldhyde as a preservative and will make you sick as a dog.

not my experience - kingfisher is certainly ok

Kingfisher is good, and Heineken and Foster's are also available. But don't fly kingfisher airlines

#2 don't eat the corn flakes! Its gross served with warm milk.

don't know

But definitely eat the parathas

#3 take along a bottle of scotch should you need to "grease the wheels"( if you know what i mean.)

this is very doubtful advice - given security systems in flights now. Remember many of the non-hindu residents take their religion seriously. It is a bit like the old system of taking stockings and jeans into the eastern block in the 60's!

Not necessary.

#4 take along a package of us style toilet paper and give it to the marines at the us consulate, they'll be your friends for life!

stay well away from official us offices. Use the soft toilet paper yourself.

That too is available!

#5 respect the dignity of the poor. Really.

yes.

Should be a given.

#6 keep away from the monkeys.

yes. And from the many religious festivals - observe at a safe distance.

You won't be going at the more rambunctious festival times so you should be okay.

#7 hire a guide (esecially the guys with beards and turbans)

while sikhs have a good reputation, there are many helpful indians around of all religions.

Sikhs have a deservedly good reputation, but you'll find most Indians helpful. Just be respectful, and speak slowly.In any case, since you're part of a group, I'm sure your hsts will take care of you.

#8 get your malaria tablets in india. The strains you find in india laughes at usa malaria tablets.

don't know about this. Copy/counterfeit products exist and most/all malaria profylactics require dossage before travel.

Don't know about that - I got malaria when I went to the US from Japan in 2006.

#9 don't expect to convert your indian money back into dollars when leaving the country---they won't do it and they won't let you take it out of the country either.

yes currency exchange was still a nightmare in the 1990's anyway."

That's no longer the case. You can just walk into a bank/Thomas Cook/American Express/Western Union/licensed money exchanger with your passport and be done in five minutes.

but well worth the trouble!

Most certainly!

Kumar

Hello all -

Be prepared to have your film scanned through the x-ray terminal at every security checkpoint - I am talking about every museum, temple, mall, large store, fort, hotel, etc. Hand checks are sometimes available, more often when you're offering a "tribute".

Don't be surprised if being part of a school trip doesn't spare you from the constant security checks.

When I was in India last I resorted to packing all of my film in a transparent zip-lock bag and simply walking through security with it in my hand or pants pockets. You're exposed to way less radiation than your scanned items. Only carry film for the day to avoid repetitive scanning of your film. Always look like you know exactly what you're doing.

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a "film scanning / fogging" exercise, though don't be surprised that things are very, very different over there. If you are shooting black and white, it is probably less of an issue than color.

Have fun! You're going to love it. I am planning a return trip myself - "wedding season" for my in-laws is rapidly approaching. I swore off photographing weddings, but one in India? Maybe!

India is a fabulous place to visit and photograph. I've been there many times on business.

Take a good quality camera and lenses you're comfortable with. DSLR and medium formats are ideal. The urban areas are crowded and fast moving so a view camera is not ideal, especially on a first trip. While there may be moments when you wish you had 4x5, you will get what you want especially with medium format unless you always need movements.

Not yet mentioned, be cautious of the food you eat and water (only bottled). Better restaurants and hotels are fine -but NEVER take food from the street vendors or any non- standard source - despite how tempting it might be. Your stomach will not be conditioned and you will easily get bacterial digestive upsets. Believe me, it's no fun and can ruin a wonderful trip.

As someone mentioned before, even if you're mostly a b&w photographer, be sure to take color film - you will not regret it.

You will have a great time and return with remarkable photos.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

And one more thing (there is always one more thing, right?) - don't be surprised if you attract large crowds whenever you take your camera out. Being a westerner will garner lots of attention as is, but being a westerner with a big camera will make a lot of curious friends very quickly. Don't be surprised if people try to look through your prism when setting up a camera or even stick their heads under the dark cloth.

I travelled nine weeks in India alone in the fall of 2010 shooting 4x5 exclusively, and in the broad perspective I experienced very few problems. Carrying the gear in the hot and humid climate will probably present you with bigger troubles than the crowds. As it has already been remarked by several, the cities are packed, transport even more so, food - and especially water - can bring you down, but the thing to really mark is that you and your belongings are going to be quite safe considering the extreme differences between rich and poor. Few other places on earth will let you walk around carrying what could represent years of earnings for the majority of people you cross in the streets - without having to fear for your own safety.

preaching aside, ahem, my 4x5 did get stolen - but at least it was in an old fashioned train scam by a well dressed crook, haha . After a couple of pretty stressful days, Kumar hooked me up with a friend of his in Mumbai who sold me his old, but well kept, Linhof Color (thanks again, Kumar). All in all I lost only four days before I was back shooting. Although people will be curious, gather around you and peep under the dark cloth, I really wouldn't worry about bringing your 4x5. I worked in Mumbai's airport slums, Delhi's railway slums, on building sites and in outskirt areas in both Chandigarh, Ahmedabad, Jodhpur, Delhi and Mumbai. The smell of garbage will harm you more than the locals, really. The worst I encountered was a bunch of kids throwing onions and pebbles at me and an old - probably disturbed - lady hitting me with a stick. Within the margins of acceptable, I'd say. Traffic will be your biggest hazard, though, no matter what camera you bring.

Treat people with dignity rather than suspicion, avoid anything containing unboiled water (salads, ice cubes etc), have a close eye on your belongings on train rides... (!) and remember, that train journeys means x-ray scanners. I survived with no x-ray damage even though my film got scanned a least eight times. I might have been lucky?

Enjoy it - it will be great and intense!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110218-Gurgaon_01.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	76657

Name:	20110217-AirportSlums_01.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	76658

Name:	20110218-Kurla_10.jpg