Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to India for 3 weeks

Going to India for 3 weeks

In December I will be going to India for 3 weeks through my university. I'm working on getting an itinerary/schedule, however, I do know that we are starting in New Delhi and working our way east and south with stops for sure at the Taj Mahal and the Red Fort in Agra. I've been photographing for nigh on 6 or 7 years now, but I've never done any major traveling and have thus not traveled with any decent amount of equipment. I've wanted to travel outside the states for a long time now and I'm not going to miss this opportunity to visit a place as beautiful and interesting as India.

I've currently got a Nikon d50 (nikkor 50/1.8, tamron 28-70, tamron 70-300) and just recently I picked up a Cambo SC on ebay (180 schneider symmar-s). The d50 takes fine pictures quality-wise, especially with the 50/1.8 which is a wonderful lens. But it doesn't do well in the way of dynamic range that I want for color so I tend to turn most shot monochrome black and white. I've taken a few shots, have 4 film holders in the fridge waiting to be developed, with the SC -- which is actually quite fun to use. Using the GG to compose and focus is such a change from the tiny viewfinder on the nikon. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to feasible to lug the SC over to India and haul it around with me, the tripod is also fairly bulky and not something I would want to haul around with me.

As a student I don't have much in the way of funds available to buy the equipment I would love to take. But I'm might use some available loan money to pick up something new to me stuff.

I've been thinking about picking up a Mamiya 7ii, though I've never used a rangefinder before, with a wider lens and one of the longer ones for general shots, would mostly probably use bw but I would also like to do some color 120 with it. I've also considered picking up a med-format slr instead, but I've never handled one before and I don't know if they're too bulky/heavy/etc to use for just walking around.

I've also thought about investing in a newer dslr, probably a d700, as I could use it for both black and white and color simultaneously. But investing in new digi stuff makes my head hurt as I'm sure next year some new camera will be out in a year or two that makes it seem like a hunk-of-junk, though I know the d700 takes wonderful pictures, especially compared to my d50. Also, aside from my 50/1.8 the glass I have is so/so and I would want to invest in some decent glass to take with me, no sense in taking a nicer camera and using junk glass.

Now, to 4x5. I know it might be a pain, but I think leaving the 4x5 behind completely would totally cause me remorse, especially as a photography student, though I don't know if they've had 4x5 tagged along on this trip before, but the woman that is heading it up said I'd have time at the larger sights to take pictures with 4x5 if I needed. I'm not too sure about what to do here. Again, getting a nice field camera would be nice, but I don't know if I could find something in my budget, though it seems it would probably be cheaper than investing in new digi equipment.

So, I would like to hear from people with experience in India or just traveling in general. Would a 120 slr be okay or should I try to find a rf like the Mamiya 7? What are your thoughts on using digi instead? Should I try to off my sc and invest in a field camera (I'd prefer one with the most movements available), or should I just trade it for a comparable speed/crown/bush graphic?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-David

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Going to India for 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by t0aster View Post
    Now, to 4x5. I know it might be a pain, but I think leaving the 4x5 behind completely would totally cause me remorse ...
    What about the Harman Titan 4 x5 Pinhole kit? The camera is sturdy and very light, and the pinhole image has been called "too sharp" by some. With a film holder, it weighs 15oz.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I'd take whichever camera I use the most and feel the most comfortable with.
    The priority is making pictures, right?

The north where you will be is very crowded. Delhi in particular. keep that in mind.

I was in India for three weeks this February and brought a Mamiya 7II and one lens. I think it was the 80mm. Easy argument could have been made for the 65+150, but I chose to go lighter since it was not a photo trip for me.
    If i were going back for a similar length of time, would bring the Mamiya again, one or two lenses, and add a good DSLR (e.g. a used D700).
    If for a much longer period of time (months) would drop the MF for a lightweight 4x5 like a Nagaoka, perhaps 2 lenses, & compact carbon fiber tripod. and a trustworthy driver.

as always, YMMV.

This is going to be your first trip to India. Take in the sights and sounds, and leave the 4x5 for next time. Take the camera you have. It's a fine camera, and if you feel like spending some money, buy a lens or two.

Kumar

Since I was last in India, the population has grown by another 200 Million!

Townlife and bustle is unlike anywhere else I have been - there is a pressure of crowds, like it was last minute shopping for Christmas, everywhere, everyday!
    All transport (road and rail) is much slower than you are used too.

This is one country I won't "do" without have colour film packed away - it is almost like the women have dressed up ready for your arrival!

I personally would use a "wedding set" medium format in town (Mamiya TLR) with WLF. Outside urban areas is a much more OK area for LF.

With LF you will be a target for boys in the nearest 200 meters who like to be entertained.

You might find this writeup about LF in India helpful. Although it was written 7 years ago:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/india/indiaLF.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'd take whichever camera I use the most and feel the most comfortable with.
    The priority is making pictures, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    This is going to be your first trip to India. Take in the sights and sounds, and leave the 4x5 for next time. Take the camera you have. It's a fine camera, and if you feel like spending some money, buy a lens or two.
    The priority of the trip is absolutely making photographs. The trip will ultimately provide 4cr and count as an advanced studio course. I'm very comfortable with the d50 and that does mean quite a bit on going someplace quite foreign to my native surroundings. However, I would like to have a nicer tool to capture images with. While something nicer won't mean I take better photos, obviously, but the way 120/4x5 film renders images in a so much more pleasing way than the d50. Even a newer, nicer dslr such as the d700 looks quite a bit better wrt image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by brianam View Post
    The north where you will be is very crowded. Delhi in particular. keep that in mind.

I was in India for three weeks this February and brought a Mamiya 7II and one lens. I think it was the 80mm. Easy argument could have been made for the 65+150, but I chose to go lighter since it was not a photo trip for me.
    If i were going back for a similar length of time, would bring the Mamiya again, one or two lenses, and add a good DSLR (e.g. a used D700).
    If for a much longer period of time (months) would drop the MF for a lightweight 4x5 like a Nagaoka, perhaps 2 lenses, & compact carbon fiber tripod. and a trustworthy driver.

as always, YMMV.
    In the cities I think something like the M7ii would be perfect. At some of the larger sights and museums we, supposedly, will be allowed in either before or after hours so we'll have more space and time to observe/draw/paint/photograph, we'll also be accompanied by art history professors from local universities. So I think that 4x5 would be ideal for those times when I'd have more time and more solitude to compose and expose.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Since I was last in India, the population has grown by another 200 Million!

Townlife and bustle is unlike anywhere else I have been - there is a pressure of crowds, like it was last minute shopping for Christmas, everywhere, everyday!
    All transport (road and rail) is much slower than you are used too.

This is one country I won't "do" without have colour film packed away - it is almost like the women have dressed up ready for your arrival!

I personally would use a "wedding set" medium format in town (Mamiya TLR) with WLF. Outside urban areas is a much more OK area for LF.

With LF you will be a target for boys in the nearest 200 meters who like to be entertained.
    I hadn't considered a tlr, but it's a good idea. And those areas outside the urban areas are what I wanted the 4x5 for, though if I have it along I may be tempted occasionally to use it in the city. And I can't even imagine going without someway to capture in colour, especially when we visit the spice markets.

Quote Originally Posted by vijaylff View Post
    You might find this writeup about LF in India helpful. Although it was written 7 years ago:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/india/indiaLF.html
    Thanks, that's what interesting. I really do hope I can end up with a way to take at least a small 4x5 with.

The simple Fuji 6x9 rangefinders are every bit as sharp as the more expensive and complicated Mamiya 7 cameras. It think they are the best quality/value/practical travel cameras.

My last trip to India was in 1988 (sigh) so what I'm telling you is probably out of date:
    #1 DON'T DRINK THE BEER! It contains formaldhyde as a preservative and will make you sick as a dog.
    #2 DON'T EAT THE CORN FLAKES! Its gross served with warm milk.
    #3 Take along a bottle of Scotch should you need to "grease the wheels"( if you know what i mean.)
    #4 Take along a package of US style toilet paper and give it to the Marines at the US Consulate, they'll be your friends for life!
    #5 Respect the dignity of the poor. Really.
    #6 Keep away from the monkeys.
    #7 Hire a guide (esecially the guys with beards and turbans)
    #8 Get your malaria tablets in India. The strains you find in India laughes at USA malaria tablets.
    #9 Don't expect to convert your Indian money back into dollars when leaving the country---they won't do it and they won't let you take it out of the country either.
    #10 Have a great trip! its a beautiful country with beautiful people.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White