Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gitzo Big Foot Tripod Shoes for use on Sand

I do a fair amount of "seaside" photography as well as a lot of work on dunes. I use a 4x5 field camera (wooden folder) and lenses up to 300mm. These go on a lightweight Manfrotto tripod.

I've never used tripod shoes, baskets or pads and have had no problems at all as long as I make sure the tripod is seated well in the sand. Even very close to the water, in wet sand, I just settle the legs down into the sand by pushing and they stay just fine. The only time they move, as mentioned above, is if a wave actually washes over the tripod legs.

I do weight my tripod regularly; I have a filmholder pouch that weighs a couple of pounds that normally hangs on the center column lock knob. I also have a bag that I can fill with stones or sand and hang on the center column, but I use that only rarely.

I don't know of anyone who uses the tripod shoes on sand... Maybe you don't need them as much as you think

BTW a cheap collapsible nylon bucket, available at most outdoor stores works well for a sandbag.

Best,

Doremus

Re: Gitzo Big Foot Tripod Shoes for use on Sand

Ok. That's good to know. I'll bring some diy ABS disks, but hopefully I won't need them.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I bought three plastic food containers, cut an 'X' in the middle of the lids, and then pushed the lids onto the spikes of my tripod. They are light, easy to pack, and have worked great in sand dunes, even with long exposures.

Thanks for the tip, Bruce.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I've always found wind to be the problem at the shore in Florida. Spray/ mist is always a thing. Wind on a bellows will move a camera as some have found to their chagrin. Perhaps a windy beach would necessitate a pad, good push into the sand or at least a small umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    We'll see when I get the negs processed.
    You will indeed.

Been there, done that. And gnashed my teeth appropriately.

Bruce Watson

I did make some 4" ABS disks, but I ended up not using them. At least with the type of sand I encountered, pushing my Gitzo's spiked feet as far into the sand as I good seemed to do the trick.