Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going back to 8x10...maybe

Re: Going back to 8x10...maybe

Milk and cookies keeping you up?
    If I had to summarize my feelings on the 810G, I'd say "Fantastic camera, but been there, done that; too heavy."
    My 810G in its case with three lenses, rails, without film holders, weighed about 50 lbs (22kg), and it took the better part of 10 minutes to set it up, ready to shoot.
    If movements were paramount, I'd buy a monorail in a heartbeat.
    Weight is not a concern; I'd like to get 4 film holders and a 360 f6.8 something, and that's it. Just wanna do me 8x10 portraits.
    I like the idea of a folder, or at least something more compact than a monorail, so it doesn't need some freakishly large case and a hand cart; I can deal with the weight of the whole set-up.
    I have a great tripod, aluminum, rated to 44lbs (20kg).
    Last edited by Ari; 22-Jun-2012 at 00:44.

Ari,

Do not know if it makes any difference to you, but the C-1 is rear focus only.

A 360mm lens should be good on a C-1. If however you decide to go with any wide angle lenses later, the rear rack will be a PITA (actually chest area) when focusing...

Good luck in your efforts,

Len

Thank you, Len; I was already aware of that peculiarity on the C-1.

lab black

I have befriended a beautiful KMV for some time now. It is a delightful camera that is smartly designed. One thing to be aware of, is that the original lensboards are difficult to come by although aftermarket copies can be purchased, as can convertable boards so that smaller Technica boards can be mounted to the KMV board which can be a nice solution for many lenses. However, I used to take baby pictures and every parent always felt that their child was the smartest and cutest kid in the world, ... because it was their kid.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

It gets worse when they get older. Why can't my kid pitch? Why is my kid last to bat?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    It gets worse when they get older. Why can't my kid pitch? Why is my kid last to bat?
    OMG, ain't that the truth. We just finished little league season with one of my son's team losing hte playoff. The only kid upset was the kid thrown out at first for the last out. All of the other kids were just happy to be playing baseball and eager to get tot he snacks. The parents are still furious -- over this, or that, or the other thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    For a more compact metal 8x10, you might also keep an eye open for an Eastman Commercial View camera. Burke and James rembrandt and view cameras and Kodak 2d will also work, but aren't metal. You'll probably want a 360 or longer mm lens for portrait stuff; too many choices for lenses.
    I have the magnesium version and it's quite a nice camera. Mind you the only front movement is rise/fall. Perhaps not the best for portraits if you'll need more than that.

I had a KMV for a while and I agree that it it is a fine camera, but I found that a beater Deardorff was far more intuitive to use. YMMV, or course!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by lab black View Post
    I have befriended a beautiful KMV for some time now. It is a delightful camera that is smartly designed. One thing to be aware of, is that the original lensboards are difficult to come by although aftermarket copies can be purchased, as can convertable boards so that smaller Technica boards can be mounted to the KMV board which can be a nice solution for many lenses. However, I used to take baby pictures and every parent always felt that their child was the smartest and cutest kid in the world, ... because it was their kid.
    Thanks for the info, LB. I've seen KMV lens boards selling for ridiculous prices, in the neighbourhood of $150.

Quote Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
    I have the magnesium version and it's quite a nice camera. Mind you the only front movement is rise/fall. Perhaps not the best for portraits if you'll need more than that.
    Thanks, Vascilli; are you referring to the C-1 or KMV? I thought the KMV had at least front tilt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I had a KMV for a while and I agree that it it is a fine camera, but I found that a beater Deardorff was far more intuitive to use. YMMV, or course!
    Thanks, John; I wouldn't mind a 'Dorff, wood aside, but its cult status will likely put even a functional beater out of my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks for the info, LB. I've seen KMV lens boards selling for ridiculous prices, in the neighbourhood of $150.
    Ari, Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee have machined new KMV boards and should have them in stock. You can contact them directly.

Another option that I learned from Kerik Kouklis is to make your own boards (or have them machined) out of 1/16" flat aluminum and use a thin strip of velcro for the light trap. You wouldn't think it would work, but it does.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...10-lens-boards (thread 8)

I considered getting a C1 but didn't like the bulk, the way it folded, and rear rail sticking back. That said, it's hard to go wrong for the price.

I have a Kodak Master and love it. It's compact, not too heavy, can handle surprisingly heavy lenses, has large knobs that are easy to use with gloves, and it is very quick to set up. I found it much faster to use than the C1 right from the start. I don't shoot with it often to be fluid with the camera, but I can go from setting it on the tripod to composing under the dark cloth in less than 30 seconds.