Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going back to 8x10...maybe

Going back to 8x10...maybe

Hi,
    I'd put this in the WTB section, but I'll be away for 3 months, so no buying until August/September.

With the sale of my MF equipment finalized, I can now turn my attention to getting an 8x10 set-up.
    I previously had a Toyo 810G, which was a wonderful, full-featured beast, but very heavy, and most of all, quite bulky.
    I tried using it for architecture, and had a number of WA lenses for it, but it was too cumbersome, and had to be disassembled a packed after each use.

I'd like to get back into 8x10, but just for portraits.
    I'm looking for a metal folding camera, no monorails this time.
    Weight, if it's under 10kg, is not too much of a concern.
    I have a small budget for camera, lens and film holders; I'll stick to X-ray film for the time being.

After a decent amount of research, I think the Calumet C-1 would suit my needs.
    Sturdy, rigid, and not too dear, around $350-$500, going by recent sales here.

Is there an alternative? Can you sing the praises of the C-1? Point out its weak spots?
    I'm hoping to be able to afford a 360mm lens, or, if cash is really tight, the Fuji 250 f6.7; will the camera easily support a lens as heavy as a 360? Will it support any decent-sized brass lenses?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance/suggestions/advice.
    Last edited by Ari; 18-Jun-2012 at 12:34.

Re: Going back to 8x10...maybe

I just wanted to add, if anyone does have something for sale, perhaps in the near future, by all means let me know.
    Thanks

the C-1 will easily support that lens and way bigger..it has metal lensboards

the camera is big and heavy and clunky...but solid and since you probably won't be bending it into a pretzel for portraits...easy to deal with.

a 240 might be too short for portraits though

For a more compact metal 8x10, you might also keep an eye open for an Eastman Commercial View camera. Burke and James rembrandt and view cameras and Kodak 2d will also work, but aren't metal. You'll probably want a 360 or longer mm lens for portrait stuff; too many choices for lenses.

Ari,

Having own one I can confirm they are certainly is robust. The one limitation you may run into with big brass lenses is the lensboard is 6x6".

As Deardorff uses the same lensboard, in putting a 600mm f9 Apo-Ronar on a 6x6 lensboard, it required undercutting the flange so that it would slip under the Deardorff sliding lock. That would likely be a similar problem for the C1.

It would otherwise seem to fit your requirements.

Good luck,

Len

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    For a more compact metal 8x10, you might also keep an eye open for an Eastman Commercial View camera. Burke and James rembrandt and view cameras and Kodak 2d will also work, but aren't metal. You'll probably want a 360 or longer mm lens for portrait stuff; too many choices for lenses.
    From what I can tell, the KMV offers lighter weight and a few more movements, for at least twice the price.
    I'd consider one if it wasn't too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Ari,

Having own one I can confirm they are certainly is robust. The one limitation you may run into with big brass lenses is the lensboard is 6x6".

As Deardorff uses the same lensboard, in putting a 600mm f9 Apo-Ronar on a 6x6 lensboard, it required undercutting the flange so that it would slip under the Deardorff sliding lock. That would likely be a similar problem for the C1.

It would otherwise seem to fit your requirements.

Good luck,

Len
    Thanks, Len.
    A brassie isn't really important right now, I just thought I might explore that one day.

Yousuf Karsh used a C-1 and he did pretty good with it.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Yousuf Karsh used a C-1 and he did pretty good with it.
    No. He did good with the lens and lighting.
    The camera could have been a cardboard box, with similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    No. He did good with the lens and lighting.
    The camera could have been a cardboard box, with similar results.
    You got that right!

Watch out for a KMV, they pop up from time to time, I'm now on my 3rd(and final) one. Lets just forget about the prior two, long story .

If you want a clamshell METAL folding camera, get a KMV. Prices fluctuate up and down, IMO its not a "buyers" or "sellers" market, its what someone's willing to pay for it.

The one I'm awaiting in the post for is a BEATER-condition one. I paid more than I should have for it, but I'm not planning to re-sell it anytime soon. Now I won't have to feel bad(much less notice ) any bumps, rub marks, scratches, etc. on it!

Too many people baby their equipment IMO, THEY'RE CAMERAS! They're meant to be USED! Not abused, but USED!

My last KMV should outlast me, it'll need a new bellows soon, but its a tank, and it'll take some more bumps, I'm damn sure of that !

-Dan