Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any 4x5 cameras with big rangefinders like the polaroid 110B?

Are there any 4x5 cameras with big rangefinders like the polaroid 110B?

Hi All,
    I'm relatively new to LF and have been shooting a 4x5 speed graphic with the top mounted rangefinder. Recently I tested a Polaroid 110B conversion to 4x5 and loved the rangefinder view which is wonderful compared to the tiny one in my speed graphic. I'm now looking for something that has some movements but with a better rangefinder and would welcome some suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Re: Are there any 4x5 cameras with big rangefinders like the polaroid 110B?

Look at a Wista RF; I'm not sure if the rangefinder is necessarily better, but it's worth mentioning as an alternative.

The British MPP MicroPress has a bigger rangefinder than the Speed Graphics, in fact it had a top mounted rangefinder earlier than the Pacemakers. However it's not an advantage to you as it's essentially a Speed Graphic in a Celestion speaker case, same shutter, focus rails, front standard etc, so same movements. (Celestion speakers and MPP had the same owner).

Maybe a Linhof Technica or a Super Graphic would be better. I'm now using a Super Graphic in preference to my Speed & Crown Graphics and there's more than enough movemebts for me. I haven't restored the Rangefinder yet though.

Ian

The 110B has a fixed lens, so it's easier to make a single-window rangefinder/viewfinder for it. An interchangeable lens rangefinder is a more complicated business, particularly when the lenses could be made by anyone. 4x5" Linhofs in general have separate rangefinders and viewfinders, and each lens needs a custom ground cam to couple to the rangefinder.

Are you referring to the rangefinder or the big, projected bright line viewfinder? They are two completely different different functions.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The Busch View-Focus finder on the Pressman D seems worth mentioning, as an all in one finder. Pretty much limited to a 135mm focal length for RF use, though, and they haven't been in production for nearly 50 years.

I've shot a lot of handheld RF 4x5. My current thinking is that a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder (120 film) outclasses all of them, at least in terms of getting successful results.

I think (but not certain) that the 110B and similar conversions are the only 4x5s with a combined view and rangefinder. It would be awesome if someone could come up with a frame selector mechanism like a Leica. Another alternative, although not really too practical, would be a Horseman VH-R. They're designed for 6x9 but you can get 4x5 backs and a few of the lenses can cover. Problems with the system as a 4x5 are that it will be bulky and awkward with the adapter back and the lens lineup is limited. It might also be hard to some across outside Japan? The Viewfinder is 1:1 so its big and bright but the rangefinder is separate. Its similar to the Wista mentioned above.

What kind of movements are you looking for? And what is wrong with the rangefinder in a 110B? I'm not sure you are going to find a much better rangefinder in 4x5.

Hi All,
    Thanks for the replies. If the 110B is about as good a rangefinder as it gets, then I think I will look for a 110B with graflok style back then. I don't really use movements that much.

Frank - I have quite a few 6x6 and 6x7 cameras - really wanted to shoot 4x5 but its interesting to read you thought you got better results with the fuji.

Regards,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I've shot a lot of handheld RF 4x5. My current thinking is that a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder (120 film) outclasses all of them, at least in terms of getting successful results.
    Agree 100%, at least with the idea that a good MF camera will yield better results handheld, as that's what it's made for.