Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Print size?

Print size?

I sometimes wonder how big or how small prints other photographers make. I know it depends on motive - negative and so on.

In addition to this I have always been restricted by the sizes of my developing trays, which make prints larger than 50x70 cm problematic..

However, tonight I thought to He"" with it - I am not going to let that hinder me, so I have just made my biggest prints ever...

Messy, but rather addictive, I think.

Liquid emulsion on 600 grms paper - size of paper: 70x110 cm (ca 27,5x43,3").

what about you? how big do you go - and how do you print larger than large?

Beginner

Re: Print size?

Sorry for already getting off-topic, but would it not be more economical to get rolls of paper instead (unless you just like the self-made stuff of course)?
    Rød grød med fløde.

Quote Originally Posted by pbryld View Post
    Sorry for already getting off-topic, but would it not be more economical to get rolls of paper instead (unless you just like the self-made stuff of course)?
    Liquid emulsion is MUCH cheaper (for me) than "normal" papers. And far more fun to use! And looking great! and.....

BUT it would proberly be easier to use "normal" papers.

11"x14" to 30"X40" (all aspects: 4:5, 3:5, 1:2 based on longest dimension), the largest I can personally manage for fine prints, depending on negative. I use 2 different sets of trays, one for 20x24 and smaller, and the other for anything larger. This is partially described at various points here. One of my next videos will be focused on printing big. My favorite "large" size print is 24"x30". Yes, it can be quite addictive, and was of primary concern when building my darkroom.

9x13 feet is the biggest size I've worked on.

It was a multi-sheet composite.

Unfortunately I did not print it.
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

funkadelic

5x7, 8x10, 11x14 and 12x20 (all in inches).
    I don't have an enlarger, so I only do contact prints. Any smaller would be too small for my taste. No bigger because I don't have any negatives larger than 12x20. Even if I did, I'm already finding space limitations in my bathroom/darkroom make that format difficult to work with.

While I'd love to make truly large prints, I've built a darkroom optimized for 11x14 prints.

Events have conspired to make it hard for me to make large prints. One time I bought a huge stainless steel tray - and it had a hole in it! Another time I made a plywood and fiberglass tray and used it for one print for a difficult customer.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

For me as well it is going to be contact prints. All carbon transfers. 8x10, 11x14, 14x17 and 8x20. Now I do have a very nice 8x10 enlarger that I have never set up so in the future????

In all fairness to my customer, it did take me over a year to make the fiberglass tray...

I am preparing for a personal show in the fall, I think I am going to make about 6 Hero prints at 40 x50 , a bunch of 30 x 40's and the balance 24 x 30 , included in the show are smaller prints I made a year ago. All are silver gelatin toned prints.

I have added an extra 8x10 enlarger into the darkroom to accommodate this printing. So this is going to give my darkroom a workout, right now deciding if we need to move things around inside to make the workflow easier.