Thread: Found glass plated negatives---Identified

Found glass plated negatives---Identified

Hello from Colorado----Randy Sweatt, a LF member from Virginia posted some images on the forum in 2011 stating that he was in the possession of glass plated negatives taken perhaps "Out West". The photographer was unknown.

Indeed they were as I have been able to identify 4 images taken right here in Colo, 2 of which are in my back yard, more or less. Having lived in Georgetown, the Silver Queen of the West for 20 years and being a former history teacher, I was easily able to identify an image of the famed Devils Gate Trestle, the Georgetown Loop, an engineering feat of its time looping around itself from Georgetown to Silver Plume to gain the 600+ feet in elevation to further the RR line westward. The image was easily to identify as it was "bread & butter". This image of the trestle was photographed by William Henry Jackson.

I presently live in Edwards, in the Vail Valley, and the second image was identified in near by Walcott on the Eagle River which is but a few miles from Edwards. Upon magnification of the image, I was able to identify "Eagle River M & F Co" painted on one of the buildings as well as "General Oats, Hay" on another. The Eagle River flows from the Continental Divide westwardly down from Tennessee Pass through the Vail Valley & meets the Colorado River in Dotsero. Walcott at one time was a major RR hub, depot, staging area servicing this territory with a stage road going North to Steamboat. Upon magnification, one can see a wagon road going northward in the distance. Note: The small white building left & center of the image still exists, with major remodeling over time & a family still resides in the building. The rail lines exist, however, train usage has ceased at this time. Walcott is at the junction of Route 6 & Route 131 North to Steamboat Springs.

The third image took a great deal of time to identify. I was dependent upon the Denver Library Digital Collection. When I viewed the image initially I was unable to find any clues. Flipping the image, as it was reversed, presented a moment of Eureka! Magnifying the image, I zeroed in on the railroad steam engine & the water tower. William Henry Jackson composed a very similar image as this one, an image of Lake Palmer outside of Colorado Springs.

The 4th image was just identified this week. Hotel Hawley, Livery Oats Hay lettering were painted on the buildings, yet I found no reference to a Hotel Hawley in my research. The river & the bridge offered no clues. By chance suggestion, I contacted an old retired rancher. He was of the opinion that a "hotel", a lodging establishment did exist at the turn of the century in his location. One day, I placed image #2 the RR station at Walcott side by side with the Hotel Hawley image. The Hotel Hawley was the lodging house at Walcott across the Eagle River from the RR station. Apparrently, the unknown photographer had lodge at the hotel, took a snap of the RR station from the porch of the hotel, looking North, walked across the Eagle River via the bridge, looked South & took a photo of Hotel Hawley were he stayed for a night or two. Lodging rates were $1.50 to $2.00. Note: The building, then known as Hotel Hawley, still exists, remodeled over time, presently lived in by the Jouflas family, an early ranching family at the corner of Route 6 & Route 131.

Here is my theory on this unknown photographer: From Denver he took a RR trip to Palmer Lake & returned to Denver. Then he went from Denver via rail to Georgetown to photograph the Loop & returned to Denver. Then he took a very long RR journey from Denver to Leadville, over Tennessee Pass down to the vail valley, passed Edwards and spent a night or two in Walcott. I also believe he may have gone further westward, perhaps to Glenwood Springs.

Some of the other unknown images may come to light if my theory holds, perhaps taken between this triangle of Denver, Colorado Springs & Walcott.

Raymond A. Bleesz
    Edwards, Co --in the Vail ValleyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Gtown-Trestle.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	85650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img63 Bret Ranch Area.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	85651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walcott Co.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	85652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawley Hotel & Livery-Feed.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	85653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gtown-Trestle.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	85650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img63 Bret Ranch Area.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	85651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walcott Co.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	85652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawley Hotel & Livery-Feed.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	85653

Re: Found glass plated negatives---Identified

Great update Raymond. I mailed you another DVD with all the images - the ones you already have and the other batch. Thanks for all your research.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg