Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lenses for Linhof Technikardan

Lenses for Linhof Technikardan

Brian,

I did read your detailed review (before posting this) with interest, and I'll use your thoughts as the basis for my hands-on play with the TK at the Teamwork store in London.

Basically if I can't handle folding and unfolding the camera I won't even bother looking at the other features.

The most attractive thing to me about the TK is that I can put it in my back pack easily.

Chris: you'd be surprised at how well I can talk myself into spending large quantities of money on things that I want and 'not' things that I need !

I'd add that folding is an absolute breeze. Don't be intimidated by the reports. It takes a slight bit of practice and a bit more manual dexterity than putting a Sinar back in its big box but certainly no more and probably much less than adding rail length to a Sinar. The key for me is to FOLD AND UNFOLD IT ON THE TRIPOD. It is much harder to manipulate it into a folded or unfolded configuration when it is loose in your hands. Put it on the tripod, lock down the head, and then crank back the rear standard while spinning both standards into position. It becomes such a natural movement that I don't think twice about it anymore. But I remember the first time I ever tried, not on a tripod by the way, and I got a bit twisted and almost lost out on this gem. I've always considered the camera a fantastic bridge between studio monorail and field, and it does the bridging like the Golden Gate or the Brooklyn Bridges.

I couldn't afford a Technikardan but for the short time I had one, it was the nicest 4x5 I ever used. I have used Arcas, Sinars, Toyos, other Linhofs, etc. The only shortcoming is if you try to mount a heavy digital back on it, it might be a bit weak for that. And you may want to invest in the long Really Right Stuff plate if you use long lenses. Don't buy one used without checking the regular bellows - many are screwed up from careless folding.

And also for those who don't know the Prontor Professional shutter was expensive as hell--what a certain salesman conveniently fails to mention.

Anyway, I love my TK45 and never could figure out why some couldn't fold/unfold it.

Frank's piece of advice is a good one: the RRS plate is excellent. I also really like their QR clamp.

See here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=283628

One thing I never understood about the TK45 is why people complain about the difficulty in closing. I do not own a TK45 but I did own the very large Kardan GL, whose bellows were easy as pie to remove. If the TK bellows are no more difficult why do not people just remove them and get done with? The one holdback I've had against the TK is the need to carry two sets of bellows -one for WA use. What on balance do TK users say that is not already in this posting? I have seen the write ups in the archives but I am still not sure I'd want to give up my Master Technika for the TK. Appreciate comments. Thanks

Julio, with anything from 90 mm and up, you dont need the WA bellows, of course if you are twisting the camera like a pretzel then the 90mm might be a stretch. I used the camera with the regular bellows for many years until I got the 65 mm lens. With a 65 mm lens you do need it. OTOH the WA bellows is so small and easy to fold that it does not take any space in your bag.

Over the years I have used several 4x5 field cameras and while none of them were bad cameras, all had some deficiency that lead me to keep looking. Now with the Technikardan 45S that I have, I have stopped looking. It isn't the best camera for all uses and all people, but it is a superb camera. The main drawback is that it is heavier than most field cameras.

I find it easy to setup and to fold, and easier than any other field camera that I have used to change the bellows. I use with lenses from the 72 mm Super-Angulon-XL to a 450 mm non-telephoto lens. It handles this range of focal lengths well, and without the need for a recessed lensboard. It will take shorter lens and longer lenses if they are telephotos. I normally use the bag bellows for 110 mm and shorter. The regular bellows could be used, but the movements would be restricted. I sometimes photo architecture and make heavy use of front rise, so photographers with different practices than mine might find the bag bellows less necessary.

As to the original question, no special lenses are needed. The only limitation is that some very large lenses with large rear cells won't fit because the camera has an approx. 82 mm diameter hole on the front standard. Lenses that won't fit are generally so large and heavy that few would want to use them in the field on a 4x5 camera.

This thread is about lenses but: but I am going to try to describe my method for folding the TK though a demonstration would be worth a thousand words. I thought of this method after using the camera for several years. It is probably more detail than anyone would need; the main steps are 4 and 6.

1. Neutralize swings, tilts and rise; collapse rail and tighten.

2. Loosen all controls including tripod pan head.

3. Squeeze standards together with both hands making them square and apart only be a finger width or so. Any where near the center of the rail is OK.

4. Shift both standards together all the way to the left (assuming you’re in the back) till the standards and rail look like —| (the horizontal line is both standards together and the vertical line is the rail).

5. Unclick the front and rear swing catches and swing slightly to the rear.

6. Jam left index finger between L standards and tightly grab both standards with the left hand, grab the rear of the rail with the right hand and rotate them together. If the standards don’t end up directly over the rail, shove the standards forward till they’re square. Lock the six red levers if you want to.

The red suitcase symbols on the rail and the rear standard will line up; you can ignore the red suit case on the focus gear. The secret is the jammed-in left index finger which keeps the bellows from pinching on the standards, and the —| formation which gives you a bit of leverage (aided by the loose tripod pan control) to pop the camera closed.
    John Hennessy

Thanks to all for the continued interesting posts. Please don't worry about the 'original' question, that was answered early on. I'm very interested to read about member's experience with this camera.

I went down to Teamwork in London (I'm visiting family this week) and had Dan give me a demo of the TK. When folding the camera, he just took off the bellows, rotated the two standards (to give an effective 90 degree swing on both standards), then pulled the extension rails together making the front standard sit next to the rear. Fold complete. I think I'd give John's method a try, but I don't mind removing the bellows, excessive maybe but I don't mind if it ensures the longevity of the expensive Linhof bellows.

The movements were nice, smooth and positive. Build quality was excellent and its weight was not an issue.

Next step is to off-load the Sinar, Wisner and RB67 to raise the cash to buy it when I get back to North America !!

Big lens limits - am I going to have trouble with the 90mm f4.5 Grandagon-N ? I may need to dump it then, as it already has to compete with the 110 XL to make the starting line up ...

Thanks again ...

I have a TK45 and a 110 SS XL lens. The lens works great with nothing special. BUT if you want to apply any movements, and especially if those movements are dramatic, get the bag bellows. There are no rational limitations with that item.

There is a diffeence in the TK45 and the TK45s. The s model has built in slick zero stops for the movements. It drove me nuts. I like the model without the click stops. How can you tell 1 from the other? The s model has a 3 piece front L standard. The non- s has a 1 piece front L standard.