Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our favorite monographs and why

Our favorite monographs and why

Szarkowski's introductory essay to his collection MIRRORS AND WINDOWS. One of the most intelligent essays on broad issues of photography and aesthetics ever written. -jb

Bill,

Sorry you were disappointed by the Atget book - I was wasn't listing as one of the "all time" monographs - rather as an addition to the library of the Atget fan. For me, what is intriguing about it, is the visual reconstruction of how Atget worked a location. I think there is a sense in which good photography is often hard physical and mental work, not just a leisurely stroll through the woods, photographing what catches your eye. Atget is certainly a demonstration of the former.

As for other favourite monographs - Eggleston - either William Eggleston's Guide or The Democratic Forest for starters. I remember being stunned the first time I saw any of Eggelston's work, which was at a show in London. I immediately grabbed the first book of his I could find (The Democratic Forest).

For me, still one of the few photographers who really understands and captures the essence of colour, especially the colour that surrounds us every days, rather than the colour we might go looking for on vacation strolling down the beach with a Mojito in hand. His works captures the essence of everyday existence for me. And I think few photographers still come close to his instinctual understanding of what colour is about and can then use it the way he does.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I'd perhaps add that of monogroahs that have had the most impact on me in most recent years, it would have to be any one of several by Thomas Struth - either "Still", "Dandelion Room" or "Paradise" (among others).

All, to me, stunning and inspiring. Opening up ways of looking and seeing and photographing. Of responding to and understanding a place.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog