Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RECOMMENDATION NEEDED "tripod for medium format camera "

Re: RECOMMENDATION NEEDED "tripod for medium format camera "

Quote Originally Posted by jk0592 View Post
    Make sure that whatever tripod you chose be compatible with the dedicated Hasselblad quick tripod coupler which stays on the tripod head. This will save you set up time, and will leave your 'blad completely free from extra quick release plates...
    Yep. I use those all the time with my Hasselblad. Quite easy to use and very secure.

Be aware that there are several different types of these. Some have a button that projects down,
    below the bottom of the plate, and thus must over-hang the edge of the tripod platform.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

thank you for all the comments. I've bought a Manfrotto 055xprob from Craigslist for a very cheap prize.
    I will take your suggestions in mind for future use.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by jk0592 View Post
    Make sure that whatever tripod you chose be compatible with the dedicated Hasselblad quick tripod coupler which stays on the tripod head. This will save you set up time, and will leave your 'blad completely free from extra quick release plates...
    That's what I do: Manfrotto 3001 with 486 ball head and Hasselblad QR.

OP: you may be interested in this replacement foot for Hasselblad cameras, that converts it to Arca-swiss compatible. One of these days, I'm going to get my hands on a 'Blad, and when I do that's the first tweak it's going to get.

I think it may be a little short sighted to think that one should look for a "medium format" capable tripod that would be any less tripod than a good tripod for a basic 4X5 kit. A hasselblad is not a truly light camera and with a few of the lenses available would weigh in as heavy as any wood field camera, or even a light duty monorail.Why try to make the distinction that a MF tripod is in any way different than an entry level LF kit camera?

I say this because so often a MF camera becomes an gateway camera to Large Format. Why go through this exercise again and spend another fairly significant amount for another tripod because you wanted to save a pound or two on the tripod you buy now.

In that sense, you are asking the right people, but MF or LF should not be distinquished from one another.

What Kuzano said. The Hasselblad 500CM with its 80mm lens is about the most tripod friendly camera you can have. When using a cable release, just about any tripod will hold it adequately. Later, when you have a Schneider zoom or 500mm lens and a Mutar on it, you will want something a lot more stable. A full frame DSLR and the longer zooms for it will be more challenging for your tripod than the Hasselblad and its more common primes.

If I had to make do with one tripod for everything, it would be a Feisol CT-3371 and its optional center column, which can be used or not used, as required.

What does this have to do with large format photography?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I totally understand what Kuzano and Steve Barber are saying. I only had one tripod for years. As time went on, though, I added a lightweight tripod for MF and 35mm use. I travel farther with these cameras than I do with LF and a heavier tripod was becoming too heavy to schlepp. I now have two tripods.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    What does this have to do with large format photography?
    I thought what Kuzano said was self-explanatory. I only wanted to second what he said and to point out that getting a tripod that would be usable for most 4x5 camera usage would not be that much more, if any, than what would be required for the more demanding smaller format camera configurations.

Steve - My question was directed at the OP and the thread topic, not at you. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. It seems to be a medium format question, not a large format question, and I would have thought it should have gone in the Lounge like other non-LF threads do.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.