Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reflections of a hobbyist

Reflections of a hobbyist

Tony, I can relate to your apprehension. Along with photography, I do some painting, and once I found myself in a watercolor class as a beginner, where the much of the student body were practicing professionals. Every week we put our stuff up on the wall, and every week I was humiliated. What kept me going was the thought: "I'm getting much more out of this class than these pros, who are already experts". You learn a lot more being at the low end than at the high end of the class.

I wouldn't worry about a little humiliation! A good doctor knows that one learns a lot more when humble rather than when one is overly concerned with possible assaults on the Ego. So go to that workshop and stimulate that cerebrum; a direct contradistinction to Medicine, which just stimulates the cerebellum!

I've found it hard in these situations to remind myself that it's not a competition. The object is not how my work stacks up against the others', rather it is to define where I am in my own artistic development.

Try not to sweat the preparation; it won't do you any good. You are what you are.

But it is often true that a workshop participant who demonstrates a willingness to work hard and a deep commitment to craft will get more attention than the others. Bring only the prints you truly love. Mount and mat them perfectly. Carry them in a good salon case.

And take notes! I still refer to my notes from the '92 Zone VI Workshop.