Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie Question ("Can't See Anything")

Newbie Question ("Can't See Anything")

check out either www.mpex.com under Current Stock, Large Format, 4x5- call and talk to Jim (?) - he's the LF guy. You can usually get a nice Fuji lens in the 125mm 135mm range for that, or maybe a Nikkor 150 W (125/35mm is nice for moderate wide landscape work).

Or similarly at Keh

http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=LF&cid=06&sid=newused&crid=6797139

But if you talk to Jim at Midewst, he can go throuhg what you want and what he can get.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Old School Wayne

Calumet used to offer an economical lens called Caltar-N's in several focal lengths. I bought the 135 mm new several years ago for under $350 IIRC. They are good lenses IMO, though not as fancy design-wise as their Rodenstock kin (which is who made them for calumet). Its my favorite lens actually, folds up nicely inside my metal Wista so its always there.

Thats if you want new, there are many good used lenses in that price range also.

A few suggestion: Don't buy one of the 135mm f4.5 or f4.7 lenses. These were made for press cameras, and don't have the excess coverage you need to be able to use your movements. I'd suggest longer rather than shorter. There are many inexpensive lenses available in the 203 to 250mm range which are easy to use and have good coverage for 4X5. I think first lenses ought to be thought of as interim tools. Buy used, use them until you have familiarity with your camera and a better idea of what suits your very personal needs, then, unless you have become truly happy with them sell them and consider any loss involved as cheap rental fees.