Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keep the Fuji 4x5 back?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Keep the Fuji 4x5 back?

Kevs, it's up to you how much value your back and Fuji Instax give you. The 3200 isn't as popular as the color 100, and B&H has it in stock. If you have the money, buy it up and enjoy it while it lasts. You'll have to buy up a little stock pile for yourself, that's all. The "negative" is recoverable, but it's more like a C41 negative instead of a real Type 55 negative.

If you don't derive that much value from it, then of course sell it now, ASAP.

But it's your choice, your determination of what the equipment is worth to you, how it fits in with your photography.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Frank, already know that. Few months ago, I was debating which holder to get and I almost got the PA-145, but did not. Now I have to sell my brand new holder. The PA-145s are not available anywhere and the used beat up 405s which were about $40 on ebay at that time, are now going for $200.

I agree with you about the naming. In fact, I was so excited to see Samys had the 4x5 color film still in stock, and at 1/2 price at $13. I bought 25 packs, but later had to return it. I read it wrong!

PS Frank, your verdict on keeping the 4x5 holder using ND filters? If you have links to cheap ones let me know. seems like a longshot....

Just look on eBay for some cheap plastic NDs since the image quality for a small instant print won't matter much. Personally I would do the math in my head, it really isn't that hard and even my feeble 52-year old brain can manage. But I use the color ISO 100.

The secret to eBay and such is patience, I know some sucker paid $200 for an old 405 but I bought another one on here for $80 last month.

Just look on eBay for some cheap plastic NDs since the image quality for a small instant print won't matter much. Personally I would do the math in my head, it really isn't that hard and even my feeble 52-year old brain can manage. But I use the color ISO 100.

The secret to eBay and such is patience, I know some sucker paid $200 for an old 405 but I bought another one on here for $80 last month.

I gotta log off now, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    What you want is the smaller back called Fuji Instant Holder PA-145, which is functionally the same as the old Polaroid 405, and it takes the smaller and less expensive Fuji Instant 3.25x4.25 inch films. It uses the currently available Fujifilm FP-100C Professional Instant Color Film ISO 100 and Fujifilm FP-3000B Professional Instant Black & White Film.

Fuji fu#$ed up the naming of these films and backs so it is easy to confuse them with the larger 4x5 films and backs. You want to double check before buying. As far as I know they will make the smaller 3.25x4.25 films indefinitely as there is a huge user base for these still, not only for photography but for legacy instruments and such.

But nothing is certain. But the film is only $10 a pack - $1 per shot - and you can find a used Polaroid 405 for under $100 on eBay.

The smaller film is a compromise since it crops the image. And the back does not always fit well with every camera. But it works in most cases and is better than nothing.
    Well I HOPE the 3.25x4.25 continues to be available. I just bought a 405 back on eBay, have enjoyed it (and also have a back for proofing on my M645 Pro) but now B&H shows the film as temporarily out of stock, but they have short dated 9/12 film for the same price, and Freestyle has it only as short dated special for the 9/12 film, discounted to just about match B&H's price. B&H has the 3000 B&W but Freestyle lists it as low stock, call for status. This has me worried. It's going to be really nice for proofing and has an aesthetic of it's own. In a word, it's just kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Kevs, it's up to you how much value your back and Fuji Instax give you. The 3200 isn't as popular as the color 100, and B&H has it in stock. If you have the money, buy it up and enjoy it while it lasts. You'll have to buy up a little stock pile for yourself, that's all. The "negative" is recoverable, but it's more like a C41 negative instead of a real Type 55 negative.

If you don't derive that much value from it, then of course sell it now, ASAP.

But it's your choice, your determination of what the equipment is worth to you, how it fits in with your photography.
    Is there a post or article with more detail on recovering the negative? If it's "more like a C41 negative" it would scan better than conventional black and white. Was there an Omega D2 negative carrier for 3.25x4.25? I suppose I could get a glass carrier but I'm allergic to the dust issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    Frank, already know that. Few months ago, I was debating which holder to get and I almost got the PA-145, but did not. Now I have to sell my brand new holder. The PA-145s are not available anywhere and the used beat up 405s which were about $40 on ebay at that time, are now going for $200.

I agree with you about the naming. In fact, I was so excited to see Samys had the 4x5 color film still in stock, and at 1/2 price at $13. I bought 25 packs, but later had to return it. I read it wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

Yeah, be patient. I got a very nice, perfectly working 405 on the 'bay for $71 and $9 shipping, a pretty neat $80 and change.

I think the FP-3000B is still widely used for technical applications - much more than it is used pictorially - so it stands a reasonably good chance of staying in production. B&H had it on sale for $6.99 recently. I've been using it in my Mamiya Press Universal recently - the whole frame is covered by the 75 mm and 127 mm lenses (the ones with a red P for Polaroid).

Best,
    Helen

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Is there a post or article with more detail on recovering the negative? If it's "more like a C41 negative" it would scan better than conventional black and white. Was there an Omega D2 negative carrier for 3.25x4.25? I suppose I could get a glass carrier but I'm allergic to the dust issues.
    I learned about it from New 55 project. It's pretty simple. Shoot your image at proper exposure. Peel the print away and enjoy it. Wash the "negative" portion to remove the gunk. Let dry. Tape the negative to a clean sheet of glass, emulsion side on the glass. Now, using household bleach, gently brush or rub the black back coating away. Don't let the bleach touch the emulsion. Wash the bleach off, remove the negative from the glass, and give it a final wash. Let dry and then scan.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Or you can simply let the neg dry, then scan it.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Bach View Post
    Or you can simply let the neg dry, then scan it.
    With the Fuji materials there's a fully opaque black backing that must be bleached off and also the left over stuff on the other side from when you peel it.
    With the New55Project stuff, from what I've read, you still need to use fixer to use the negative. But that's not out yet.