Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many trays does one really need?

How many trays does one really need?

Really?
    Hey, I'm looking at a stash of trays I haven't even touched in years!
    There are hard rubber trays, plastic trays, and somewhere hidden are some enameled trays as well as stainless steel, in an assortment of sizes(even, IIRC, some kitty litter trays)
    Some I have a special fondness for (I dislike the word sentimental but I do like) especially my yellow Kodak trays, I actually need to keep my big white Omega trays for the 12x20 film and 16x20 prints, and my favorites are my very first set of trays, 8x10s made by some long gone company out of a very thin plastic in the 70's complete with the original price stickers- 39 cents- as well as a set of plastics from Freestyle and another a set of Satters. Since I expect to be shooting more ortho, I'll using trays for processing film as well as prints and if I embark on an alternative process I'd imagine extras will come in handy, but right now i simply have too many!
    Does anyone have a formula for weeding out trays? Should I part with the broken sets (I have two hard rubber Aces but not the third) Should I give up the badly stained ones? Or chuck 'em all except the newest plastics? Do I keep the pretty colored ones? Do I go all luddite and use only the enamelled steel and hard rubbers?
    Aye carumba! My head is spinning! Every time I move a box I seem to find more trays tucked away!
    I can nest the unused trays and store them in the garage, but they can't stay in the house and besides I'd rather give the ones i don't need to local photography students.
    If I weren't allergic to cats i could recycle 'em as litter boxes, eh?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: How many trays does one really need?

ONE! For Kallitypes I only use one. I only did tray developing for a very short time but got by with one for that too since it isn't that much different than using a daylight tank with no top! I'm a minimalist when it comes to these kind of things and hate the extra space and expense. And since I develop and do all my work a foot from my computer there isn't a whole lot of room.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

One can get by nicely with a single Mitchell Color Canoe in the size for the largest paper or film you use. Having a Color Canoe for each size paper or film is even better. As Zaitz says, even a single ordinary tray also works. Of course I have well over a dozen trays myself.

My canoe is an aluminium Grumman. I don't think it would be compatible with the chemistry. Besides its too long to make it around the corner into the bathroom/darkroom.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Lol, I'm a freak when it comes to trays. I need a tan one for developer, a red one for stop, a white one for fix, two more white ones for selenium toner, and one more tan one for other toner like sepia or whatever.....so six in each size.

.....and don't even get me started on tongs

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    Lol, I'm a freak when it comes to trays. I need a tan one for developer, a red one for stop, a white one for fix, two more white ones for selenium toner, and one more tan one for other toner like sepia or whatever.....so six in each size.

.....and don't even get me started on tongs
    Bamboo?

So funny. I have two 5x7 enamel trays (really 7x9) that I developed 4x5 film in tonight.

I "really need" one more to have dev/stop/fix.

Maybe I should have three more so I can have dev/stop/fix/wash1/wash2 because that's how I process...

To get by with just two good ones I use a plastic tray in the middle for stop where the film spends the least time (least risk of scratching). While fixing, I dump the dev and fill the tray with water. Then I pour fix into a bottle and fill that tray with. And I cycle film back and forth between the two water trays for 20-30 minutes.

Yes, my 11x14 trays are the first cheap plastic ones I picked up out of college from Olympic camera... And one did kitty litter duty for a few years (one acid or another doesn't matter)...

Trays are like women. You can't get enough at first and only the prettiest will do. But after enough dumps (from both sides) you realize the best ones aren't the prettiest or grandest, they're the ones that get you through the dark with a smile.

Respectfully,
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Bamboo?
    Yes, and I can tell with my eyes closed which tray the tongs belong in

Old darkroom trays are useful for things other than darkroom work. I use them as receptacles when I change oil in my lawn mower, edger, and chain saw.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.