Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod Query -Which Berlebach?

Re: Tripod Query -Which Berlebach?

Drew,

Some history,

Berlebach has been making tripods since 1898. They are located in Mulda which is in the former East Germany.

During the cold war era Berlebach tripods sold in the USA were imported under the Berlebach name, the Rollei name, the Billingham name and probably some other names as well.

After re-unification the current owners of the factory invested in new tools for the tripods and the older tools went to a company called Wolf.

The reason the owners invested in new tools was that the old tools were wearing out and they could not maintain quality.

So something called "Original" may not necessarily be desirable!

And don't forget, Berlebach tripods have a 10 year warranty!

Does berlbach ship pods to the US from that site?

I expect they do, they ship to New Zealand from their .de site. You will get a discount for German VAT and the shipping by DHL is very reasonable.

Deardorff Sales and service

A friend has a WOLF tripod. It is very well made. No evidence of worn out tooling. Those guys make some fine measuring instruments. I doubt they'd make a junky tripod.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

I have dealt with Berlebach's customer service department. Not only do they make a fine product they are an excellent company to deal with. Good people!

Berlebach tripods have a 10 year warranty!

Hence, I'm a bit worried, since I acquired a used one 8 years ago

I would have preferred that a product made using a serious communist tradition be guaranteed until Capitalism will self-collapse under its internal contradictions

Not kidding, 8 years ago I bought to a good friend a Berlebach tripod Nr. 8013 which I regularly mention here. The product is perfect to me. This 8013 tripod has the option with the 3/8" - 16 screw which I recommend to LF users, since most tripod heads actually have a "big" 3/8" screw, not the small 1/4"-20.
    (a serious LF user will, on the contrary, insist on never using 1/4" screws, this is for small format cameras only, another world )

The Berlebach 8013 has the big knurled knob to firmly secure the head, and has no centerpost.
    I've never missed the fact that I have no centerpost. Hence simply take a tripod model which is high enough to suit your taste. Since I'm routinely using a binocular viewer, I cannot use a high tripod together with this accessory. Hence the 127 cm-high model Nr. 8013 is perfect to me.

If I had to buy a new Berlabach, I would have a look at the models with a built-in sphere. With a LF camera, this sphere looks perfect for levelling the head. Actually I have a ballhed with a panoramic movement on top, hence I have no longer any needs for any levelling system in the tripod itself : I simply unfold the tripod, do not spend much time to level it, the ballhead with panoramic movement on top acts as the final levelling device. Levelling the Berlebach legs is easy, in fact with the 3-section model I have, I can simply let the legs (the small sections close to ground) fall under their own weight and tighten. I've seen once a Manfrotto metallic tripod where a clamp operated by a single lever will release the 3 legs at the same time, they fall under their own weigth, hence you can level the tripod instantly on any uneven ground like the steps of a church for a wedding shot ;-)

Model 8013 can easily support a MF camera or a lighweight 4x5" camera. Load capacity of the 8013 is 10 kg, 22 lbs.
    If you need a stronger tripod, you have the choice ... look at the "UNI" series and you'll probably find something that will never collapse, unlike capitalism

I'd agree with Emmanuel, the 'lack' of a post is not a problem in LF. I own a 8033 (leveling head, no center post) and it's perfect for my 4x5 Tachihara.

I added a pano head on mine, so if I was to buy a Berlebach again (may not be too soon, they are made to last), it would be a 8033/P (integrated pano head)

I have the 8023 and could not imagine being able to use something shorter and without a center column.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?