Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The LF Camera you have owned the longest and still do.

Re: The LF Camera you have owned the longest and still do.

A second-hand Wista 45DX that I bought around 1986 to replace a heavy De Vere Whole plate, half plate, 5x4, monorail I'd bought a decade earlier and finally sold last year.

After 26 years of use the Wista could do with cosmetic restoration, mainly to rejuvenate the brass work.

Ian

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

4x5 Anniversary Graphic. I've had it 5 years but someone had it before me and seems to have used it quite a bit.

SuperGraphic. I've had it over 30 years...

Cambo monorail camera. I've had it since 1982 or so...

All of these still work and are used for their original purpose (including electronic release and flash synch connections on the SuperGraphic) adn the Dial-Compur shutter on the Anniversary Graphic.

Some things were really built to last!

My first LF camera was a 5x7" Conley that I still own (since 1993) but hardly use. Probably my best buy (although the most expensive LF camera I ever bought) was my Tachihara 4x5". I bought it new in 1996 and have used it a lot ever since.

Michael

An 8x10 Deardorff NFS which I bought in 1980, and converted to front swings with the Ken Hough kit 5 or 6 years ago. It wasn't my first--I had several 4x5s before that, and it replaced a Korona 8x10, but I've had had it a long time now, the old beast still looks good, functions perfectly, and isn't going anywhere.

Attachment 74371Attachment 74372

Kodak 2-D: Bougght for a song during the Hay-day of the Houston Camera Show around 1992. Has the sliding tripod block but not the extension rail. Wish it had the extra rail. I have learned to work without front tilt.

Later in the '90s, I disassembled it as far as I could and did a gentle refinish. My attitude is that we cannot actually own them. We are merely stewards of these fine old cameras, keeping thim in good shape for their next "owner".
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The LF camera I have owned the longest, is my Graphic View camera. Back in 1988, I answered an ad in a local classified newspaper. The camera came with it's original case, an aluminum funky tripod, some film holders, a Polaroid back, a musky focusing cloth and two lenses, an assortment of Kodak filters and lens hoods. One lens is the Kodak Ektar 127mmm and the other a Kodak Ektar 203mm. I paid $280 for the setup. Both shutters were in need of service, so I had Mr. Flutot bring them back to life.

A few days later, I informed one of photography instructors about the purchase. He asked me if I wanted to purchase a 4X5 Crown Graflex he had in storage. The Crown Graflex came with the 135mm lens, some Kodak 203 lens cells, some film holders, a 6x6cm roll film holder, a Grafmatic with instructions, and some filters. All for the tidy sum of $100.

Now if I can only learn how to use these cameras, I'll be set.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Toyo 45CF. I bought this camera when the model first hit the market ~ 2003 and paid $549.95 for it new from B&H. At the time I was considering 4x5 but couldn't justify the 2 or $3000 price for a new Linhoff 2000 for a format that I might not like or $500 for a beat-up 50 year old Speed Graphic. Then Toyo announced the CF. The camera looked great and the price was right. I still have (and use!) that camera on a regular basis and have since acquired 4 more Toyo's: AX, C, Robos, and 810G. Great system and brand!

Thomas

Canham 45DLC - bought new in 1998... I believe it was from Keith's 2nd batch. Bought from the F-Stops here. Still have it - but I have added some others since then. The 5x7MQC I bought used on ePay gets the most work these days.

Steve

The LF cameras that I've owned the longest are a Kodak 2-D and Century #9a, both bought about 1995. My main user camera is a Toyo AX, which I bought a couple of years ago.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

A cherry 4x5 I made in the late 80's. Still use it if I do any climbing because it is so light.