Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Sur

Re: Big Sur

polar -
    all good suggestions above... If you're a hiker, or don't mind a trek off the beaten path, you can find complete beauty without the crowds. (And, as Sam mentions, if you can get up to Old Coast or Coast Ridge roads, you'll see what 99.8% of the other visitors never view.) If you want to shoot redwoods, use the natural summer diffusion the morning's fog will provide...have lunch at Nepenthe...and then go stop at any turnout/trail that looks good. If you're doing Carmel, there's a good Spanish place for tapas, Mundaka. Otherwise...the whole coast is nice, just pick a spot/park/beach and go, you'll have a great time...

The Robinson Jeffers(The Stars Go Over The Lonely Ocean) home in Carmel would be an interesting tour to take---I don't know what the status is on tripods, however.
    Hahn makes a truly great Merlot.
    The Santa Cruz railroad has the beach train(vintage deisel-electric) in Santa Cruz and narrow gauge (live steam) line in Felton if that sounds interesting.
    Theres lots of places to try local artichokes and garlic on the Northern end, and local wine and fruit on the Southern.
    The whole region is full of photo ops (and great food!)
    If you happen to find yourself in Carmel in the morning and like french toast, get thee to Em-lee's!
    The June Gloom generally burns off between 9-11AM depending, but it does provide for a beautiful diffused light and it is nearly always fog free in time for spectacular sunsets.
    Definately take along a sweatshirt (or buy one there!)
    These are world class picnic grounds, btw, with many fine delicatessens in the larger towns to outfit your basket and specatular locations to enjoy the view.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Traffic and road reports.

OK, it's been years since I've been south of Carmel and in the Big Sur area.

I echo the traffic reports south of Monterey and Carmel. Heavy, Heavy, Heavy. In addition to that, I do not know what road conditions are like at this point in time, but one rarely drove up the coast highway (or down) without checking highway reports.... washouts and traffic stops on that road. Fairly regularly. Hope it's better for you on your trip. Keep your gas tank full also...

Here's a web site with driving tips for that area, and it looks like the same old problems exist as I encountered in the 70's'.:

http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/big...highwayone.htm

jadphoto

If you're coming down the coast route from San Francisco (recommended) stop at Pescadero. There's a family eatery, someone will need to refresh the name for me, that was one of Ansel's favorites. He used to stop there on his way north from Carmel, they used to have several prints on display that he gave them. The "town" is one block long so you can't miss it.

You'll also pass Pigeon Point lighthouse. One of the few that can be shot either morning or evening due to its position. Good place to stretch the legs too.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The June Gloom generally burns off between 9-11AM depending, but it does provide for a beautiful diffused light and it is nearly always fog free in time for spectacular sunsets.
    Maybe in Santa Cruz. We can go two weeks here in Pacific Grove without seeing the sun in the summer! They sell space heaters at the hardware store during summertime!

Another +1 for Point Lobos, but recommend a weekday, and getting there at 7:45AM. That'll put you early in the line, and the gate opens at 8. Get a look at Cypress Cove first, 'cause after the first hour you won't even be able to find a spot to park there. After that, head for the south shore area--it gets crowded later. The whole visit will only take a couple of hours, then you can move on to less crowded locations. Still worth it.

One good restaurant that hasn't been mentioned yet: Peppers in Pacific Grove.

The restaurant in Pescadero must be Duarte's. One of the few funky old roadhouses you'll find with an award from the James Beard Foundation. Don't miss the olallieberry pie. In fact, I recommend you save room for two slices. Can't miss it, right at the stop sign in the middle of town.

Plenty of good places to photograph all the way down the coast...your problem will be picking which ones. Have a great trip.
    Paul Stubblebine
    serious student

Thank you so much guys!! So much awesome advice; we'll try to see what we can do for the 2 or 3 days! Thanks also for the traffic warnings! Now we just have to decide what to do. Thanks again, this is awesome!

FWIW, my bride's favorite B&B in Pacific Grove is the Centralia
    The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk should be having it's free concert series on the beach on friday evenings. They'll have a schedule on thier website.
    The prawn burritios at the Palomar in Santa Cruz are amazing! You can get one at either location, the old hotel downtown or the yacht harbor.
    Aldo's at the yacht harbor in Santa Cruz is a great place for breakfast on the open deck--its amazing how good beakfast tastes in salt air!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ahh, how could this slip past? Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing. Great seafood & plenty of industrial marine images on the drive out to the market.

Hey,

Shoot your ass off.

Dont' get back home and say... "I regret not taking that thought."

Good luck, and just shoot.