Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Ilford Warm Tone - what's available?

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Spotting Ilford Warm Tone - what's available?

I know that SpotTone is no longer around, and finding the stuff is getting pretty difficult. My question is, what are folks using now that really works well. I have been digging in the archives and the newest post is from 2011. Has anyone else come up with anything different/better?

I like the warm tone paper from Ilford and plan to use it into the future. In some ways I feel like I'm starting from scratch having to find some new material to use for spotting. If anyone has a cache hidden anywhere and wants to share, please let me know.

If you kind folks have any secrets or new ideas, sharing them would be tremendous as well.

Thanks!

Drew Wiley

Re: Spotting Ilford Warm Tone - what's available?

If I knew where there was a cache of SpotTone I sure wouldn't be telling anyone else - I'd
    buy it myself! Basic black and sepia spotting dyes are easy enough to find substitutes for,
    but not the olive-green color. I sure hope my supply lasts. Somebody needs to unravel the
    formula and replicate it!

I have been using the Peerless dry dyes the last few years. They work fine-

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/73300-...et-of-5-colors

They also come in liquid I just noticed-

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/73318-...Dye-Lamp-Black

I have enough to last for the next 20 years and am not parting with mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    If I knew where there was a cache of SpotTone I sure wouldn't be telling anyone else - I'd
    buy it myself! Basic black and sepia spotting dyes are easy enough to find substitutes for,
    but not the olive-green color. I sure hope my supply lasts. Somebody needs to unravel the
    formula and replicate it!

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Bob you are a brat. How long will you live? Haha.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I saw the Peerless dyes on APUG but hadn't seen a liquid mentioned.

Drew Wiley

The Peerless set doesn't contain a specific color I personally need when working with the
    mentioned paper, at least toned.

jadphoto

Drew,

When the boss at Spotone wanted to retire, he sold the formulae to Marshall's (the oil color folks). Look for Marshall's Spot All.

I don't know which colors are available but I'd think they'd continue with all of them.

JD

Drew Wiley

Thanks. I did buy a set of Marshall's and it didn't have what I needed. Maybe their selection has expanded since. I hate to start mixing my own dyes since the fading characteristics might be different from the tried and true Spotone system.

I print almost exclusively on Ilford Warm tone and use a product called Spot Pen. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&A=details&Q=
    10 premixed pens in varying degrees of density, they do not leave a residue in glancing light like most Spotone dyes do. For Ilford Warm Tone get the standard black & white set, DO NOT GET THE Warm tone pens as they are just too warm, unless you Sepia tone your prints.

Cheers

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    I print almost exclusively on Ilford Warm tone and use a product called Spot Pen. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&A=details&Q=
    10 premixed pens in varying degrees of density, they do not leave a residue in glancing light like most Spotone dyes do. For Ilford Warm Tone get the standard black & white set, DO NOT GET THE Warm tone pens as they are just too warm, unless you Sepia tone your prints.

Cheers
    Steve,
    I used the b/w Spot Pens on Galerie 3 glossy prints recently (no toning). They're not obvious, but if you look for it, you can see where it's been used. I had improved results by breathing on the spot and buffing with a chamois to make it less noticeable once it had dried for about 20-30 seconds.

Chris