Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma Extension Rail

Pete, there's an excellent Sinr Norma CLA tutorial, in either text or video form, on the web. Search Norma CLA guide. I'd recommend either reading the whole document or watching the entire video before diving in, just so you know what your getting into.

Jon

PS: it doesn't address stuck rails. I'll disassemble mine tonight and put some WD40 on everything and report back...

Hi Frank,
    Are you sure? Under the red end of my 6inch extension is this countersunk screw which goes into the red plastic and prevents it from turning. Is this a modification do you think?

Jon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336386590.509699.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	73248

Re: Sinar Norma Extension Rail

This part should turn... or not. Is there inside the tube a threaded stick? If so, this part should turn, if not, it should not turn.
    ---
    Edit: There are many many versions including loads of user modifications. I have this end in both "turn" and "not turn" versions, both with and without the screw (un-and-modified versions, I mean).

I just went down and checked and the all the red knobs on my extension rails turn. The base rail has black knobs on each end that do not turn. Perhaps you have an oddity assembled from parts or ?

From what I see, screw + pseudo-triangular red end, my guess is that this is a modified, original bar with a replaced plastic end. There are many modified "thingies" out there (easy to break if improperly used, or even when the mounted camera is stored in its own case... )

I`d say original ones have the screw but doesn`t have that "pseudo-triangular" shape (but a six-sided knob), while more modern ones doesn`t have the screw, and have the triangular knob (the one at the photo).

Anyway, and Frank says, it should turn! (Specially because there should be that threaded stick inside... you need to turn it!)

Wait... looking at the photo I`d say it could be a full new "part" instead of a "mixed" one (the screw is oddly placed too much closer to the rim); if so, this screw should not be there. This screw could have been placed by someone for whatever... like to lock the knob (?) to use it as a "standard" rail. Who knows. In the older versions, there should be three screws around the rim. Are them around yours?.
    Again, check first if there is a threaded stick inside, and tell us.

What else is going on with that camera? Did some Aussie swindler take advantage? I heard that England shipped all their criminals to Australia, I'd never buy a camera from an Australian ;-p

Seriously, some of the Sinar cameras for sale were assembled from odd parts rather than being whole items unto themselves, and sometimes people don't know any better or try to get away with kludges. That happens in NY a lot.... Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

True, but not an issue at all for Jonreid... If the camera is in working condition, that`s fine...
    As mentioned above, you can work with -only- extension rails. The original standard rails leaved space inside for a ruler and the accessory bar; not needed actually for shooting.

A friend used to stash joints in the base rail for travel. Imagine finishing a complex shoot, unscrewing the the cap and toking up!