Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, exploring options....Advice PLEASE

Re: Newbie, exploring options....Advice PLEASE

I live in a crappy old trailer. Everything was worn out and stained before I bought the place. I'm keeping it that way because it's paid for and I don't care what it looks like. I have no one to impress. My son can tear down and rebuild once I croak after he inherits the place. For now, it's just fine for this cheap old bastage. Worry about stains?? Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

There's something very liberating about "keeping it simple" and being "out of debt". Scroo the Jones' and the debt-horse they're riding. I don't play those games anymore. I'm free.

O&F,
    I am self employed, and with the market robbing me blind, I will never be able to retire.
    Bill

Bill... I can't retire either despite health issues. I nearly emptied my 401K to buy this place... I didn't want a mortgage. I just hope Uncle Sam doesn't rob my pension much more than he already has. If I become so disabled that I'm completely incompetent then I'll most certainly lose my job. I can no longer stand for hours at a time greeting folks at Walmart.

Hows that photo gear clean-up coming along?

Bill,

I am sure that someone at the camera club can help you out with your questions about setting up a darkroom. You really don't need to run a whole lot of water. If you can obtain some of the newer film and print washing equipment, as they tend to use very little water and are more effective in washing your film and prints. I have items made of plexiglass by Gravity Works that use very little amount of water when compared to the older style equipment. Check your local classified ads and on this forum for items for sale.
    As for chemical being toxic, you can research the chemicals on Freestyle's website. Some have links to the chemical's material safety data sheets (MSDS). Chemicals that you purchase can also have an MSDS or a website link to the chemical's MSDS. Most chemicals are quite safe as they are exhausted when they are disposed or washed down the drain.

Check some of the postings on this site for darkroom photos. It helps to see how other folks are setting up their darkrooms. Kodak also published a very helpful darkroom book. I would tell you the book's title, if I could only remember were I left it

Good luck,

Jose

O&F,
    My 401K has been robbed by manipulation of the stock market. I could not ever pick a winner. I wish I had just kept the darn money.
    The Toyo needs no cleaning at all, heck it looks BRAND NEW.
    The Hasselblad does not look all that pretty, it is going to require a lot of work. The lens is coming apart (glue spreading out from the edges of the rear element), 150 Zeiss f4, Probably $175 to fix and if I heard him right to CLA it. I could buy another lens for that amount (maybe) but they would probably need some work too. I need to shoot a roll of film thru it to see how it does to see if I have a problem or not. I can do that and have it commercially developed.....how big would the prints have to be to make it a fair test?
    Right now I have no place to develop or print so all I can do is practice with an unloaded camera. I am learning, and reading.....God that GG is dim, and I do not have a lupe yet.

Jose, Thanks, I will look into how others set up their darkrooms. I hear a lot about using the bathroom, but that sounds terrible, stains eventually... setting it up and then tearing it down, wear and tear, the sinks are the small hand washing type, lots of negatives... I have to really think this one out. The hot water tank is in the garage, that gives me hot and cold water but no drain..... Like I said I'm going to have to think this one out carefully. And no shooting until I work it out. I still have to come up with an enlarger and darkroom equipt. Everyone recom D2 or D3....A lot of what I read says color head and variable contrast paper....sounds good to me.
    What systems for developing film are out there? JOBO is an expensive alternative, some drums have holders you put your film in and then turn on the lights....what works???
    If you were starting out from scratch which way would you go?

Bill... Most all our 401K's suffered from stock market manipulation. I lost about half of mine before I decided enough was enough and sank it into this crappy little trailer on two acres. All I have to worry about is upkeep and taxes.

I wouldn't make a huge print for a test unless I really liked the image. You can cut or tear pieces of an 8x10 sheet and place them strategically on verious areas of a 16x16 image... just make sure each piece is laying plat before making the exposure. Also, I good film inspection loop will tell most tales without ever making a print.

Do not have the darkroom yet, I was talking about running a test roll thru the Hasselblad I just bought, having it developed and printed. That way I can see if there is any distortion from the glue on the rear elements of the Zeiss 150 f4 lens.
    Speaking of loupes, I need one for focus on the GG of the 4x5. Which is the best to buy?

Bill,

You really don't need a darkroom to develop film in a daylight tank. These are good for roll films, and some are available for sheet film development.

If you don't have the equipment to develop film, check your local craigslist for folks selling darkroom equipment. I have seen complete darkroom setups selling for under $100. Should you prefer new equipment, I would recommend Freestyle Photographic Supplies. There are other good photo supply sources, but I have been dealing with Freestyle for over 30 years. Ouch! that makes me feel old.
    If you run a roll of B&W film thru the Hassy. About the only time you will need a constant flow of water, would be in the final film wash. You can either use plain water for the stop bath after the developer. The spent developer can be dumped into a bucket or down the drain. The fixer can be returned to the fixer bottle. If you have photo-flo after the film is washed, it may help the film dry evenly. Hang the film to dry on a shower curtain rod, since you don't have a film dryer. After the film dries you can inspect with a magnifying glass or a loupe to see if the lens is good enough to keep using.

As for a GG focusing loupe, it is hard to say which is the best. Everybody has their own a preference. Some folks use a $1 magnifying glass for the dollar store. Personally, I have a Schneider loupe that I purchased at a camera flea market. I think I paid $30 for the loupe. I have also seen some focusing loupes going for $100. Just use whatever you feel comfortable with.

Jose

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    If I become so disabled that I'm completely incompetent then I'll most certainly lose my job. I can no longer stand for hours at a time greeting folks at Walmart.
    They changed all that last month. The greeters are now a ways back into the store, at the intersection of "action alley." They also allow greeters to sit on a stool now.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!