Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best monitor for photo editing and viewing - suggestions wanted

Preston Birdwell

Re: Best monitor for photo editing and viewing - suggestions wanted

Bill,

I still contend that an NEC wide-gamut monitor that supports hardware calibration with SpectraView and the NEC-branded colorimeter is the best bang for the buck. My P221W has 10,500 hours on it and it still calibrates perfectly every time. No dead pixels, no flickering, nothing: it just works.

If you're interested in the Eizo, take a look at http://www.chromix.com/. They are an authorized Eizo dealer. I've purchased items from them in the past and find them very easy to work with. Eizo monitors are expensive, but I have heard really good things about them. I'm not sure what their warranty is, though, but I'm certain the folks at Chromix will provide any info you need.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    I think the dell uses white LED's to produce nearly all of the ADOBE RGB color space... LaCie was very clear about the use of RGB leds and I think dell would mention RGB leds in the sale page. RGB leds does increase gamut but using RGB instead of white leds is less efficient as the light gets filtered twice.

The LaCie is 123% adobe RGB while the dell is 99%.
    The Dell uses a GB-LED backlight, not RGB as I stated. It is a definite step forward, although not at advanced as the LaCie. On the other hand, you can get quite a few Dells for the price of the LaCie....

This all seems like a good reason to shoot black-and-white.
    SINAR F+ 4x5 wearing a Fujinon 150/5.6 W

Preston Birdwell

Quote Originally Posted by barnninny View Post
    This all seems like a good reason to shoot black-and-white.
    Why? If one uses B&W film and then scans it, the monitor needs to be able to produce an accurate and smooth gray scale. This means that the monitor should be able to accurately reproduce the primary colors (RGB), and have an accurate black point and white point. If a monitor cannot do this, the output to another device, say to a printer, will likely not be acceptable.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I have got a great deal (around $300) on a previous model NEC 26". Found it on Craigslist; the seller said he got a hundred inquiries about the Apple cinema display he was selling but hardly any on the NEC. Sounds like the general public doesn't know how good these are, so good deals might not be hard to find.

I'm completely spoiled by the full adobe RGB gamut and the hardware calibration. The Spectraview software is first rate and makes calibration effortless.

In reviews I've read, people are having a harder time justifying the price premium of Eizo color edge. The flex scan models are more affordable, but I don't think they're as good as the NEC.

FWIW, with the exception of some images, I find monitor calibration more critical with black and white than with color.

If you are shooting only black and white then any color reference monitor should do. The gamut wont really come into play and chances are that you will calibrate your contrast ratio to at or below 1:500, in fact the dell might be better for black and white since it will offer 1024 rather then 256 shades of grey. For color, moving from 8 to 10 bits should be less noticeable then a 25% larger gamut. If your using a high gamut printer then the a wide gamut monitor should help with soft proofing.

I haven't had experience with color reference monitors. Just the Wide gamut LaCie and its 20" samsung counter part. The laCie is much better then the samsung even though they use the same screen. LaCie's software is much better and it gives me a darker more neutral black. I am actually pretty disappointed with the now discontinued samsung XL series. The LaCie puck is nicer and the software allows you to use it to calibrate and profile all of your other monitors. I lost the software but LaCies technical support is awesome and set me up a download for it right away. The LaCie is able to self calibrate and uses many more "patches" to fine tune the monitor.

I have not used Dells calibration software but it might be likely that one would get better results using it with a third party software option. The dell sure sounds like a good value.

Looking online found other options
    NEC has refurbished models

I could go with 2 23" PA231W 75% aRGB for $449 ea
    Possibly the way to go???

A 24". PA241W. 98%.aRGB runs $789

For a little more 27". PA271W 97% aRGB runs $939
    A single 27" is another way to go

That is in the range of Apple Cinema
    27" refurb about $880 2010 model
    New $999
    Not initially crazy about glossy screen but they say you get used to it
    Everyone seems to like the Cinema, but how ie it for LR PS

Dell is still a contender

I know nothing about the exotic brands
    Figuring to stick with the more common names

Considering all options.......Help appreciated/needed

If it was me, I'd get the Asus Kirk recommended from a reputable source, such as Amazon. I'd try it out, calibrate it, and use it for a few days. Odds are, it'd be fine. If so, done, if not, then I'd return it and check out the Dell, probably the PA241w or the bigger one recently suggested. If those don't work out, I go next with the NEC, one of the ones with it's own hardware calibrator. I'm not a big fan of the Apple screens. They're ok, but usually there are better screens for the money out there.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Go with a manufacturer that specializes in displays and complementary hardware / software such as NEC's Display Systems Division.

We've been using the NEC and Spectraview products for years in my business and couldn't be more pleased. I also use two PA241 dsplays for my personal work and the screens are like the day they were purchased despite thousands of hours clocked. The PA241 or PA221 models are excellent values (compared to some of the very nice but more expensive Eizo units) and well suited to the accomplished digital user. Calibration with Spectraview is excellent, fast and simple. The monitor and Spectraview packaged together provide the best value and savings. (BTW - I don.t have any connection with NEC except as a satisfied user.)

We've had poor experience with Dell monitors. We've found them to be unstable and / or troublesome, not to mention the snotty Dell technical support that seemed to prevail several years ago. I don't believe that Dell and many others have the same quality standards for monitors as the more specialized producers such as NEC, LaCie or Eizo.

Perhaps brands NEC, LaCie or Eizo might be more expensive, but when all is said and done, they are better investments.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate all the input.
    Dennis's letter pushed me over the top and today I ordered
    2 24" NEC PA 241 W
    Refurbished for $780 with10% off $710X2
    Also picked up SpectraviewII calibration kit

I am confident that I made a good decision based on all the input from this forum.
    Again thanks to all
    Bill