Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are people really paying $1000+ for Speed Graphic and Aero Ektar combos?

Re: Are people really paying $1000+ for Speed Graphic and Aero Ektar combos?

The fast 4x5 lenses and handheld 4x5 are at odds with each other, you rarely see any successful shots because focusing with the shallow depth of field is pretty much guesswork. Even Burnett uses a tripod most of the time.

Outside of Burnett's, how many good shots have you seen from this sort of gear> Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    I got enthused by the whole speed lens thing a few years back and built my own Graphic and Aero Ektar combo for around $400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    It's just a hipster trend.
    It used to be cool, and now everybody is doing it!

Really, "hipster trend" seems to be the catchall explanation for just abut everything.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

yeah we at least have to see the positive in that film use is being exited!
    through a glass darkly...

being exited?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    Fair enough, I really was just wondering whether this was an isolated example or the new normal. I'm not actually planning to sell mine, although I probably should since I have other options (150 Xenotar, 165/2.7 Tessar) for this look, but I do like to know where the market sits with the stuff I have. Certainly, nobody is forcing anybody to pay these prices (for something that is just a luxury) so why not charge what the market will bear?
    I don't know about "new normal" based on the two links you provided. The first one had one bid (could be a fake) and the second has no bids yet. I don't follow these cameras, perhaps there are other sales at these prices but I'm not sure these two alone tell us a lot.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    being exited?
    well i think people get exited about stuff, and then get into it. i just saw barnetts stuff for the first time.

( i have seen some of his bob marley pics, im pretty sure)

i think he has a very strong body of work. i dont like every shot, but some a worthy for sure, and i love the stuff he did with said aktar combo the most. the buried car in particular (from his site) and it is great to see all his film work from 35mm up, over the years!

all i ment was that for a slice of the population, it takes seeing some one else do some thing before they will try it, so i think its great, he advocates film usage, as it helps us all out if the film companies stay in business, so maybe i have become like a slightly nervous evangelical christian, who cheers from the sideline if a new convert is hooked?

so getting people exited, you bet.
    through a glass darkly...

Yeah, they're just high asking prices (if that one bid is a fake/shill), not sale prices. But I have a question, some of the previous posts talk about "building" an aero/speed graphic. What is there to build? You put the lens on a board and put the board on a camera, right? Why would a new photographer be afraid to try that?

The problem with facts is that there are far too many opinions about them.

I never liked Areo Ektars for general photography or even for portraits but... that's just my opinion... and I'm WAY out-of-practice.

I think that's precisely the catch. Some people are too lazy to go out and search for a working Speed Graphic then a well priced Aero Ektar (less common) and finally mount the lens on to the camera. If you have the money you can get the whole package and start shooting right away.

I don't understand why some people send standard lenses to be mounted on a regular lens board to expensive places like SK Grimes when it is just a matter of drilling a hole. Some people are better skilled than others?

...and I've seen very beautiful images done with Aero Ektars (with no tilt and shift).

Maybe because most people (not just photographers) are challenged by drilling any kind of hole in anything, let alone a hole of the right size perpendicular to the face of whatever material is needed, particularly if the material is metal. And drilling a large hole isn't so trivial unless you use some kind of hole saw which isn't exactly cheap either. And even with a hole saw it can be hard to control the drill without some level of skill and a drill press or lathe or something.

Used to have a friend who installed sound systems in cars and drilled a lot of speaker holes in sheet metal with a Milwaukee Hole Hog - he got flipped out of the car on more than one occasion when the hole saw hung up in the metal. Maybe most people SHOULD leave it ti Grimes.