Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

So what about us small ULF guys? How does this handle an 8x20 and 11x14? My problem has always been because I'm not a tall guy (5'6") the size of the pack is not large enough to hold my camera and fit my torso. I won't even ask about my 14x17! Yes I pack all three now along with my dinky 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Bruce, how does the new pack do against the "official" carryon size?
    The stiff portion of the pack will fit in the size checker provided you do not over pack it. The frame sheet is 22 inches. The is the critical dimension for the size checker. International flights are typically more concerned with weight than size but if you don't overload this pack, it will pass. I consider that to be a huge accomplishment!

Bruce
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    So what about us small ULF guys? How does this handle an 8x20 and 11x14? My problem has always been because I'm not a tall guy (5'6") the size of the pack is not large enough to hold my camera and fit my torso. I won't even ask about my 14x17! Yes I pack all three now along with my dinky 8x10.
    Two of my Beta testers were women 5' 2" in height. My Short Torso pack has the same payload capacity as the regular Torso pack. That is a first. I understand that people short in stature are not short in determination to haul big kits into the field. I believe that is an exclusive bragging right for the RPT/photobackpacker line. As for the 8x20, lets talk. The reality of manufacturing is that you can't expand the line to meet all needs unless there is sufficient demand to support the production run. Lets talk and see if we can help you.

Bruce
    Bruce

Bruce:

I got a few boxes this spring for a family trip to Colorado. I love them. I am transitioning ny 4x5 kit to boxes—aox for the Zone-VI is next on the list. Good Stuff!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Unfortunately, living in Europe, I have never seen one of your packs in the flesh, so I am not able to comment on them. I have big LowePro which I use very little, due to two major inconvenients. First, it makes me sweat. Very quickly my clothes are wet, my back is wet, and the part of the pack touching my body is wet. And this leads to problem number two, when I set the pack down to open it, the straps and back are on the ground, because the opening flap is on the other side. Even if the ground is not snow or mud or wet grass, the straps and adjacent parts, being wet, will pick up dust, sand etc, which will then transform to clingy dirt and transfer to clothes, hands...

i wonder if anybody else sees this also as an inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrab View Post
    Unfortunately, living in Europe, I have never seen one of your packs in the flesh, so I am not able to comment on them. I have big LowePro which I use very little, due to two major inconvenients. First, it makes me sweat. Very quickly my clothes are wet, my back is wet, and the part of the pack touching my body is wet. And this leads to problem number two, when I set the pack down to open it, the straps and back are on the ground, because the opening flap is on the other side. Even if the ground is not snow or mud or wet grass, the straps and adjacent parts, being wet, will pick up dust, sand etc, which will then transform to clingy dirt and transfer to clothes, hands...

You could put a plastic sheet of 1m square in your backpack and put your backpack on that.
    Tom Keymeulen

I carry a "one-man" ground sheet to use where ever I want to put my pack down. It's long enough to provide protection for the pack and the lid when opened. When I've finished, I can put the wet/dirty sheet into a net bag on the side of the pack.
    /Frank...

A few years ago, I got rid of several external frame Kelty packs from the late 1960s and early 1970s. I did keep one magnesium frame stripped of all attachments. This I fixed to a golf bag pull cart with small automotive hose clamps. I strapped my LowePro Super Trekker AW to that and it walked along with me easy-peazy-light-n-breezy. Kept everything off the ground too.

The PhotoBackpacker website has images and videos of their backpacks in use. Often I see that the pack is hanging from the tripod. That would also keep the gear out of the frass and scree.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by cgrab View Post

That's the same reason I only carry packs that open from the back panel. There aren't many - actually only one brand That I am aware of that actually has decent packs, but they are new and not that well known but demand is outpacing their ability to manufacture (and that is what I currently use (and they are available in Europe)).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Little View Post
    I carry a "one-man" ground sheet to use where ever I want to put my pack down. It's long enough to provide protection for the pack and the lid when opened. When I've finished, I can put the wet/dirty sheet into a net bag on the side of the pack.
    /Frank...
    I cut up a cheap space blanket/survival blanket which is super light and waterproof. It fits on an outside, side pocket on my Photobackpacker pack.