Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro Ballhead with 4x5 Technika

Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro Ballhead with 4x5 Technika

First off, I'm not interested in hearing from people who don't like bullheads with view cameras. I've had both and currently am enjoying a Linhof Leveling Head on a Really Right Stuff tripod. But when I am honest with myself, I think a bullhead would make it easier and faster to get the camera into position. I am not doing critical architectural work and I am not shy about cropping or tweaking perspectives in post. Twenty years ago I used an Arca Swiss B1 with 4x5 for years.

I really like the quality of the Really Right Stuff tripod and I know their largest ball head should be equally fine but before I jump, is there any other quality bullhead to consider?

I think I would prefer the screw clamp versus the lever but if you prefer the lever please tell me why?

And with a Linhof Technika V, is the best plate their recommended B-25? Do you orientate the camera's back to be 90 degrees to the clamping knob or does the lip force you to have the knob sticking out, preventing you from switch the back vertical/horizontal? Or pinch you to tighten the knob if you mount it the opposite way?

Thanks

Re: Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro Ballhead with 4x5 Technika

I used the BH-55 with an Arca Swiss F-Line Classic and it was quite easily up to the task, even with a 450mm at full extension. While expensive, it is an excellent ballhead.

Mine has the screw clamp. The Arca rail would not fit into an Acra-type lever clamp. The clamp was too loose. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I think I would prefer the screw clamp versus the lever but if you prefer the lever please tell me why?
    I prefer the lever clamp. The lever is a very positive and fast action and stays locked (i have been using lever clamps for over 7 years and have never had a close call). I had previously used screw in types and had a hard time getting the plate properly aligned and inserted, which led to sometimes thinking the plate was properly mounted when in fact it was not (which in turn led to some close calls).

Lever clamps are nice when they work, but don't seem to work with all plates. I've owned both types.

The best thing for a Tech V is to have two plates of the same height (mine are just generics, but the RRS plates are lighter and lower profile), one on the body and a longer one on the bed, and a long clamp, so you can slide the camera back and forth from one plate to the next across the gap to keep the camera balanced with any amount of extension. In a pinch, it's also not a bad ersatz macro rail. I orient the plates so the camera can move fore and aft, obviously.

A ballhead works surprisingly well with a Technika, because there's a bullseye level on top of the camera, and it's fairly quick to line up with that combination.

Frank, I assist a gentleman who uses a BH-55 on a RRS tripod. It's a terrific combo, better than my Arca B1/Gitzo duo, which is still pretty good. Like David says, the screw clamps fit more plates than the lever ones, and with some combos of cameras and plates, the lever can be hard to reach. That said, Greg's right that in the right situation the lever is a very fast and positive method.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

It sounds like if you buy the RRS plates, the lever will work well but if you try the cheap eBay plates they might not fit as well... ? Just more $$$ aha

I have the BH-55 with the lever clamp and have no complaints. It is a well made head. I do use RRS plates, however Wimberley and Kirk plates manufactured in the last year also fit the RRS clamp, according to RRS. The screw clamp would probably be the way to go if you intend to try the cheap eBay plates.

I've been contemplating getting one of the Acratech "GP" ballheads. Very well made, and a nice small company dedicated to high quality manufacturing.

http://acratech.net/

Since they're local to me(about a 15min drive), I drove over to ask some questions in person. The owner gave me a tour of their shop, and I got to see them in action, and during various stages of the process. He's designed the head to be LIGHT, but super strong. Ideal for backpackers or people who don't like to tote around a lot of weight, but want a SOLID platform to use.

He told me bluntly that crossing mfg's(say a RRS plate on an Acratech B/H, or a cheapo ebay plate for instance), there are slight tolerances in the mfg process. He chose their(Acratech's) plate dimensions to be the average size between all the major players who make arca-style plates. This way with the fine adjustment screw, one can use plates from any mfg, and be assured that they will be held tight, and not slip.

R.R.S. makes nice stuff too, but to me(I shoot outdoors, so dust clogging a closed-ball designed B/H over time could be a problem, vs the open-style ball on the Acratech) has swayed me towards their product line. And having the ability to drive over and ask questions in person is another reason to go with them, I'll be totally honest .

-Dan

Addressing Daniel's comments, I have two ballheads, the BH-55 and the Acratech GP (one for each tripod, a light rig and heavier rig). If I were to do it over again, I would save the $$ and get two of the Acratech. The Acratech does a great job of holding the camera, are light and easy to use. I love the BH-55, but unless you need a monster ballhead, I don't think they are worth the dough. The Acratech is an excellent ballhead.

get this one, it's totally cool: http://www.gitzo.us/ser5-3-way-electronic-head