Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I worked on a portfolio book. Any criticism. Work in progress.

Re: I worked on a portfolio book. Any criticism. Work in progress.

There's a difference between a portfolio and a catalog. You may be trying to show as many photos as possible - as large as possible - to the detriment of each photo. That's more like a catalog than a portfolio.

Perhaps you could consider giving a more flattering border around each image: via either a larger book, or smaller images.

The two-up approach looks rather cluttered: similar photos compete, and dissimilar images interfere with one another.

Each photo deserves to be shown as a work in itself. Leave the left page blank: that's a suggestion anyhow Better to show a few images with dignity and elegance, than many photos crowded together.

I don't really see a show or sales potential here. They're fine photos, the sand dunes are salable as decor, but you have a lot more photography to do before you'll be doing what you say you intend. Good luck, keep pushing.

Wow thank you Merg, coming from you that is a great honor. I think you are right I need to eliminate the weaker ones and only show the very best and no fillers.

I work right across from the Peter Fetterman gallery. I haven't really spoken to him yet but that is the gallery I would love to get into. All the masters show there. My boss knows him but when I see him I will mention that you said hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Gabriel, you have some very fine images. As a suggestion, I would eliminate those that are weak, and only show your best work. You have a good eye, and most likely understand what I am saying. Also, and I realize that this is in the preliminary stage, pay particular attention to the sequencing. You are off to a good start, congratulations!

I note that you work at Bergamont Station; if you ever see my old friend Peter Fetterman, please give him my regards.

Best,
    Merg
    Thanks,

Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

There's a difference between a portfolio and a catalog. You may be trying to show as many photos as possible - as large as possible - to the detriment of each photo. That's more like a catalog than a portfolio.

Perhaps you could consider giving a more flattering border around each image: via either a larger book, or smaller images.

The two-up approach looks rather cluttered: similar photos compete, and dissimilar images interfere with one another.

Each photo deserves to be shown as a work in itself. Leave the left page blank: that's a suggestion anyhow Better to show a few images with dignity and elegance, than many photos crowded together.

Ken as usual you have great advice! I never realized it but you are right the way I did it was too catalog, which makes sense since that is what I do at work. With proper spacing you respect the image more and the 2 don't fight for attention. Very clever thank you.
    Thanks,

Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I don't really see a show or sales potential here. They're fine photos, the sand dunes are salable as decor, but you have a lot more photography to do before you'll be doing what you say you intend. Good luck, keep pushing.

Thank you for the honest advice Frank. I am still working on this so I do have a while to go. I think I need some kind of concept that unites the images. That's what I notice at some galleries.
    Thanks,

Gabriel

Another consequence of having larger photos, 2-up or more, is that the eye is drawn into the center of each photo - only the center - to avoid distraction from other images.

As a result, each photo is reduced to a picture of something. The subject of the photograph takes prime importance, rather than the photograph itself. That's OK for documentary photography, or even product and fashion photography, where the photograph is supposed to be a transparent glass through which we look at something far more important - but not for fine art photographs.

In Fine Art photography, the photograph itself is the subject, and the book should be the transparent glass through which we gaze, not at the subjects, but at the photographs.

Scott Brewer

I would change the cover photo. Go with something really, really bold. One of the dunes or the picture of the rock formation (Jtree or Alabama Hills?) with the moon in it. Take a bunch of photos out and line them up. One or two will keep jumping out and fighting for your attention. That should be your cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ElRooster View Post
    Hi

I worked on a portfolio ebook which I would like to print it one day and also show galleries when it is completed. It is a work in progress. Let me know what you think.

http://issuu.com/gabrielseri/docs/shadesofsilver3
    I think there are already a lot of good criticisms, if brief. I think it would be helpful for you to digest and process the information into at least 3 broad categories, each needing attention:

1) Technical (i.e., horizon line leveling, shadow detail, etc.)
    2) Artistic (i.e., composition, tonal values, etc.)
    3) Presentation (i.e., studies, through–lines, etc.)

Lastly, and I guess this is presentation, I don't understand the e-book paradigm as a method to show your work to galleries, as you say. Is that how "artists" show their work these days?. Do galleries show digital electronic work now instead of physical prints? While I realize the necessity of, and endorse compelling presentations on the web, primarily as a necessary business adjunct, I believe most brick and mortar galleries still show actual prints, however they're made. Unless your intent is to only "make" electronic digital images for "display", even as part of a hard copy book, I as a gallery owner (yes, I have been one, Photo Biz), would want to see examples (actual finished work) for display. That could come about in several ways. First, a coherent (see #3) physical portfolio of ready to frame images, probably no larger than 11"X14". Then, perhaps a few larger professionally framed, ready to hang pieces of your very best work, encompassing all of the above 3 points.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that self publishing a book of images off the net wouldn't show me much commitment to your "art", unless it were a true fine art book and you were already known.

Hi ROL,

The e-book is for email purposes, I am not trying to sell the images digitally or off the internet. I wanted to use the e-book as a tool, because there is nothing worse than an artist coming to the gallery with their portfolio without an appointment. I feel that with a proper introduction on an email with the images or if I send a cd with images I can get exposure and then come in with the real silver prints.

The self publishing of a book of images would be possible at a show. I have to a few shows here at Bergamot Station and bought 2 books so far from photographers I never heard of before the show and 1 from Jerry Uelsmann.

That you for the critique and I realize that I need to rethink the images and refine the selection. I got many great ideas so far and I am appreciative.
    Thanks,

Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by srbphoto View Post
    I would change the cover photo. Go with something really, really bold. One of the dunes or the picture of the rock formation (Jtree or Alabama Hills?) with the moon in it. Take a bunch of photos out and line them up. One or two will keep jumping out and fighting for your attention. That should be your cover.
    Absolutely I will do this! Thank you.
    Thanks,

Gabriel