Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: um....? weirdness in this new negative

Re: um....? weirdness in this new negative

May we se a scan of the neg?

Even with this tiny cropped image it still looks like double exposure to me. Some areas covering the child lighten values and others darken them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	72511

It is possible that the film had recieved a "light leak" while it was in storage.
    I.E. through its original box and bag.

Don't look a gift horse in the puss.
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

SGM... My posts are just my perceptions of what "I think" I see in the image. I never intended for my posts to be viewed as accusatory toward whomever supplied the film. Maybe it's my lousy use of written English language. Mistakes happen to everyone.

I also go for intentional or unintentional (e.g. pinhole in bellows) double exposure. The pattern seems too regular to be cause by film degeneration. Is the film IR sensitive? In my IR days, I have seen some strange pinhole effects through light leaks caused by removing or inserting the dark slide, even things resembling an image.

Pinholed bellows, or a hole in the lensboard somewhere.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I haven't had trouble with other images but this film holder arrived pre-loaded for me- so the first time I've used this holder in the camera. My other images are all great so I don't think it is a problem in the camera. Could be the film holder (they are wooden- I suppose it happens).It's very odd looking either way. I may have to test that film holder again to see- can use paper and see what happens too. It does look double exposure-like since it is within the image and film as the other areas like my son are. it is the aerial ilford film - it was on a roll so he cuts it and loads it that way. Very thin film - different. I'll test and take notes so I can keep track if I have a problem holder- may have a side I can't use we shall see.

If you have old wooden holders, they can become warped over time. The flashlight test will show gaps between the holders and the camera back. Bellows or lens board pinholes can be hard to see. Again, try the flashlight test.

Peter Gomena

thanks! Just take it into the dark and use the light or will it show in reg. or dim light?

A totally dark room is not necessary. Just dark enough for the flashlight to show well will do the job. For the lens board test, put the lens on with shutter closed and take the back off the camera and shine the light in through the back. Look around the lens board where it fits the camera. For the bellows and camera back, extend the bellows to its maximum, take the lens board off and put a film holder in the back, shine the light in the front end. The corners of bellows tend to develop pinholes, the peaks and valleys of the bellows tend to wear thin on old cameras. Old film holders can warp, so look around where it fits snugly against the back. Search this segment of the forum for remedies for leaky bellows - it's a common topic.

Peter Gomena