Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington DC camera stores

Washington DC camera stores

I'll be in Washington DC over the weekend. Are there any camera stores in that area that carry large format gear? Thanks for replies.

Ben

If you are going to be limited to downtown DC there are two:

1)Penn Camera at their main store (11th & E NW if my memory serves)

2)A store on K Street and 20th/21st NW whose name I think is Pro Camera or something like that.

If you have transportation and can get out to surrounding areas there are a number of others. Fuller & d'Albert in Fairfax, Eastern Camera in Prince Georges County (they sell a lot on eBay I think) and one on Connecticut Avenue in Bethesda (Photo Pro or something like that) and Industrial Photo in Silver Spring, MD.

They all have a good selection but Industrial Photo and Penn Camera likely have the largest. The place on Connecticut Avenue is a Canham dealer and usually has one or two in stock. All will have film. All are listed in the yellow pages. Check the names and locations as it has been a numbr of years since I lived in DC.

"Industrial Photo"

Was sold to Abbey Camera. Abbey camera has closed all of its' stores and its' name is owned by someone else for mail order or email only business at sometime in the future.

Pro Photo has moved to 1902 I St. NW in DC

I'm not sure that Eastern Camera does much business out of their store in Beltsville anymore. The last couple of times I passed by, they were closed. Photo Pro is in Kensington; there was no large format gear visible when I went in several weeks ago. Industrial Photo hadn't carried large format gear since they became Abbey, and Abbey has been gone for a good long while.

To my knowledge, the best photo shop in Washington is Service Photo... and it's in Baltimore.

In addition to Pro Photo on I St. downtown, there is Photo Pro (not a misprint) in Kensington just outside the Beltway on Connecticut Ave. (MD 185) at its intersection with University Blvd. (MD 193). It is also excellent and probably has a better selection of large format film than Pro Photo does. Pro Photo seems to cater more to the medium format market, but they are a wonderful business. Best selection of used equipment in the DC area, and always reasonably priced. They'll never try to gouge you. Rare in this day and age.

I'd stay away from Penn Camera. They become more and more consumer point-and-shoot oriented all the time and have almost no film-based offerings at all left any more. And their prices tend to be quite high.

Actually, the best answer to the question you asked is "No". I'd try Baltimore if you'll have the time to get up there.

One of the best for large format is in Alexandria, VA. Actually has some LF merchandise in stock.

Pro Tech Photo, 5710-E General Washington Drive, Alexandria. (Route I-395 and Edsal Road) 703/941-9100.

Randy is right! I forgot about Pro Tech. They also ahve a good selectionof rental equipmetn and reasonable rental prices and policies.

I am surprised at Jim's comment on Baltimore. AFAIK the pickins there ae even slimmer than in DC.

"I am surprised at Jim's comment on Baltimore. AFAIK the pickins there ae even slimmer than in DC."

I don't know of any place in Baltimore. It just seemed like there must be something up there, because DC's a large format wasteland. I get everything in New York or through the mail.

Re: Washington DC camera stores

Sorry to say all or nearly all of these mentioned by Ted are out of business. Penn Camera was bought by Calumet who then went out of business (declared bankruptcy). Eastern Camera is out of business as is Industrial Photo in Silver spring. Pro Photo is still open in the district and does very nice repair work (they have worked on a number of cameras for me). Dont think they rent much; nothing about rentals on their web site. There is a newish company DC Camera (dc-camera.com) that rents 35mm and video stuff including tripods, heads, lenses, etc. Heavily oriented to video work. Closest I know of is Trec in NYC. Rent various 4x5 cameras, lenses, lens/camera kits, etc. If anyone would know, it would be Karry Thalman..send him an email.