Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we need center filters?

Why do we need center filters?

This is not a question about optical geometry and light fall-off. I'm familiar with optical design.

My question is that rectilinear lenses for smaller formats, even those with wider Angles of View,
    don't need center filters, and in fact such filters are not even available for them.

So why are they used for LF lenses?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Re: Why do we need center filters?

This is just a guess but the geometry is very different - a DSLR wide angle lens is no closer to the film plane than a regular lens so there is no extreme difference in the distance of the corner of the image or the center of the image.

Might be full of S--t but it seems reasonable at this late hour. Maybe it won't seem reasonable in the morning.

Hi Jim,

Not exactly true. The from the film to the rear node is equal to the focal length when focused at infinity.

This is true for all lenses, and is in fact the definition of focal length.

So for a given AoF, the LF lens will be a longer FL, and therefore farther from the film, than a 35mm lens.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

The rays that illuminate the edges and corners travel a greater distance then thos that illuminate the center. So theie is greater fall off then with regular lenses, But regular lenses also have less exposure at the edges and corners as well. just not enough to warrant correction.

If you download the relevent brochures from Rodenstock on lenses and on center filters it is all explained.

Wideangle lenses for SLRs are retrofocus designs, which inherently have less falloff of illumination, but greater distortion, which can be corrected in rectilinear lenses by adding more elements to the design or using aspheric elements. Some of the most recent wideangle lenses for LF are slightly retrofocus designs, leaving a bit more room for lens movements and reducing falloff a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    This is not a question about optical geometry and light fall-off. I'm familiar with optical design.

My question is that rectilinear lenses for smaller formats, even those with wider Angles of View,
    don't need center filters, and in fact such filters are not even available for them.

So why are they used for LF lenses?
    How can this not be about optical geometry? Very short lenses on small format don't have the falloff because of their strong retrofocus design. In return, they have an assortment of geometric distortions (mustache distortion being common and annoying).

Remember that a retrofocus design is a reversed telephoto. The telephoto design uses a normal lens with a rear magnifier, and so the retrofocus design uses a front de-magnifier with a more normal lens behind it. The position of the rear node is an effective rather than an actual position in a compound design. Determining focal length is not as easy as it seems. The point is that you cannot draw a straight line of the marginal rays from subject to image surface as with a simple lens. (Consider, as an extreme example, a retrofocus fisheye. The marginal rays subtend a 180-degree angle to the subject, but only produce a circular image roughly three times the effective focal length at the image surface when focused at infinity.)

I own rectilinear lenses going down to 12mm for 24x36, 45mm for 6x7, 47mm for 6x9 and 6x12, and 65mm for 4x5. The latter two are typical biogon-type large-format lenses that are like two retrofocus lenses in opposition--this was, in fact, Schneider's breakthrough with the Super Angulon. Because of that near-symmetry, they lack any type of distortion, and their optical performance is excellent and fairly uniform across the frame. The opposing retrofocus lenses undermine the advantages of the retrofocus design, however, and that means the rear node position at the focal length is actual rather than effective, and therefore quite close to the image surface. I use center filters with these.

The former two are pronounced retrofocus designs that do not suffer from severe falloff, and center filters are not needed. But they lack corner performance that is as good as center peformance, and they suffer from various geometric distortions.

There are some lenses for small format that allegedly do not suffer from distortions, despite being strong retrofocus designs. They are also priced well outside what I can afford. (The Canon 17mm TSE lens is one example, but its corner performance relative to its center performance is still not quite as good as a later f/5.6 Super Angulon, near as I can tell.)

Rick "noting that designs targeted for digital sensors are also retrofocus designs, to increase the angle of the light rays approaching the sensor" Denney

hacker extraordinaire

I think the retrofocus may be part of it, but not all of it. What about wide-angle lenses for rangefinders?

My Olympus OM 28mm and 50mm lens have exactly the same physical focal length. When I use them for panoramic 'stitching', I don't even adjust the camera position; the exit pupil seems to be exactly the same distance from the film plane.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

In terms of retorfocus SLR lenses, the cosine of the rays hitting the film is less. Thus less need for center filter. But there usually is falloff in most all lenses in all formats, the degree depends on the aperture and focusing distance.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In terms of retorfocus SLR lenses, the cosine of the rays hitting the film is less. Thus less need for center filter. But there usually is falloff in most all lenses in all formats, the degree depends on the aperture and focusing distance.
    Also the film, falloff that may be acceptable with color negative material becomes more apparent and harder to cope with on something like Vevia.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    ...rectilinear lenses for smaller formats, even those with wider Angles of View,
    Even leaving aside the CF's currently offered by Schneider and Rodenstock for their short-focal-length lenses (as short as 23mm!) designed for medium format film and/or for (small!) digital sensors, there's also the Hasselblad XPan/Fuji TX-series cameras. I don't recall about the 90, but CF's were offered at least for both the 30 and 45mm lenses.