Thread: Gitzo Tripod for 8x20

Gitzo Tripod for 8x20

I am looking for a second lighter tripod to use with my 8x20. The tripod in question would be used for short hikes. I have done research for a few months now and have a few questions. The two tripods of choice come down to a Calumet mid pro and a Gitzo Mk2 1410. From the Gitzo brochure that I have it looks like the G1410 would do the job. I am also looking at the G1570M head to use. Can anyone out there tell me if the G1410 with the G1570M head would be a good combination to use? For the most part I would be using the Gitzo on the usual ground surface that you find in the parks. The first use would be in Utah this late spring. Any input is appreciated.

Gitzo Tripod for 8x20

Bruce, I use a Gitzo 1325 with a G1570 head for my 8x20 Korona and am quite happy with it. A 1410 legset certainly wouldn't hurt, but would be heavier and I'm not sure it would be any sturdier. I added a hook to the center of the top platform and always hang my camera bag from it. The additional mass helps a lot. I don't know what camera you are using, mine is relatively light weight and works well with my set up. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Gitzo Tripod for 8x20

I forgot to add that I use a 360mm lens and don't extend the bellows real far. If I was using longer lenses I would probably want a heavier tripod and would look seriously at a Ries in addition to Gitzo.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Gitzo Tripod for 8x20

Richard, I failed to mention that I am using a Wisner 8x20. The Ries is one that I will look at to replace my Zone VI heavy duty. The main reason that I am looking at a Gitzo now is the ability to pack it on a trail. I will buy a Ries later on. For now I would like a lighter and smaller tripod that will hold an 8x20. Thanks for the help.

Clay

Gitzo Tripod for 8x20

I use the Gitzo 1549 carbon fiber tripod with a majestic head for my 12x20 camera, and it is super beefy and MUCH lighter than the Ries that I also have. Frankly, the rigidity is about the same between the two. To give you an idea of this, once in a moment of stupid showing off to another ULF dude, I set the gitzo up at waist level, and then actually used it to support the full weight of my 160 pound body. Didn't so much as creak. Kids, don't try this at home.

Gitzo Tripod for 8x20

I used a Gitzo 1325 with my Deardorff 8x10 (15 or so pounds with lens and film holder) and it worked fine. But then I'm not a believer in the theory that a heavy camera necessarily requires a heavy tripod.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Gitzo Tripod for 8x20

I use the 1548 with 1570 head for my 12x20 and it works very well. I just got back from taking a pic with the camera vertical. If the 1570 holds a 12x20 vertical it should hould your 8x20 just fine.

Gitzo Tripod for 8x20

Thanks to all that responded. I snagged a deal on a calumet today. Very much like a Gitzo in quality. A few more pounds but in addition it will support my 11x14 as well. Thanks for the help.