Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E6 lab for 120 and 4x5 film?

E6 lab for 120 and 4x5 film?

When I recently jumped back into medium and large format I did my research in the wrong direction. I started with equipment, but should have started with film processing. To my dismay I've recently discovered there are no more E6 processors in the entire State of Maine. That puts me in the boat of using 120 print film and trying to scan negatives -- not something I'm rushing to do.

So if anyone has references to labs they use in the Boston or New York areas that still handle 120 and 4x5 E6 processing, I'd much appreciate same. I'm looking for reliability, reasonable turn around time (10-14 days?) and decent work quality. Doesn't have to be the bestest and most expensive, though references to those will be retained for future use if and when needed.

Thanks much in advance,
    BAB

Re: E6 lab for 120 and 4x5 film?

Edgar Praus in Rochester is one of the best labs left in the USA, he does almost all mail order, internationally now... he is a personal, local friend but many others on this forum will vouch for him. I am sure there are fine labs in Boston and NYC but Praus is reasonable for the excellent quality and he is very prompt (nothing takes more than a few days). He also does just about everything analog, he is even processing Kodachrome as B&W.

http://4photolab.com/

That's great, Frank, thanks much. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm assuming Praus Productions, Inc. is the dude?

BAB

Yeah I think he should rectify the naming and his domain but whatever, he is doing Magnum's stuff now too.

Very cool.

By the way, I bumped into a Nikkor 65/4 on a Sinar board for a decent price. Couldn't resist since the board was included. I know I said I wanted a 75 for 4x5 work, but I'm feeling it wouldn't get used much. The 65 will though, on 6x9. And I'm sure glad I took your advice about finding a 65 with a large aperture -- definitely improves the usefulness.

Cheers,
    BAB

duggal in nyc is always a reliable choice. they are commercial/adv businesses' top choice.

Despite being in California, North Coast Photographic Services is a 5-7 day deal. I ship my film, and it arrives 2 days later. They do it within 2-3 days, then it's back to me in another two days. I have had many rolls and sheets done by them and they are always perfect. I also used Praus once and it was very good but it took longer and cost a bit more so I personally don't see any additional value there.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

there's also Datachrome, www.data-chrome.com here in southern california. Rochelle Burch does perfect E-6, and her turnaround is usually within 24hrs of delivery, or at latest, the next business day. And IMO, her prices are very reasonable.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by mervynyan View Post
    duggal in nyc is always a reliable choice. they are commercial/adv businesses' top choice.
    It's not everyone's top choice in NYC by any means: I find them to be snotty and not all that helpful or trustworthy in comparison to other labs. I would recommend Ken Lieberman, LTI Lightside and Laumont over Duggal easily, and those are just the labs I have personal experience of - I'm sure there are others.

Thanks to all. Referrals bookmarked.

BAB