While on a recent trip I picked up three beat up old soft-focus lenses, a Dallmeyer 6D, a Cooke Portrait Anastigmat, and a 30cm Universal Heliar. I was able to get the Cooke apart and lube the soft focus and aperture ring so they turn now, and cleaned the lens elements. There are still what appear to be spots in the coating on one of the elements, but otherwise it looks like its now in shooting shape. The 6D is aluminum, and locked up tight at both ends. It has a lot of crud inside, and at this point I'm not sure if I will be able to open it short of sawing it in half. I put the local equivalent of liquid wrench on the joints and will let that sit for a while.

Meanwhile, I have started work on the Heliar. I can get the back element off, but that is all, and I need to pull the whole thing apart as it looks like it has fungus on the internal elements. So, what next? The soft focus ring at the front turns for soft-focus, but does not unscrew unless I am not applying enough torque. It has two holes in the front ring that look like they might be for some sort of specialty wrench. The aperture ring has a set screw.

Anyone have any experience disassembling one of these, or can point me in the direction of a manual or something?