Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monterey area in late Feb

Monterey area in late Feb

If you can afford it, go to the Post Ranch Inn for a stay or just a meal. It is awesome, truly one of the great hotels on the planet.

Do a little research of the kinds of photography you want to explore and John will tell you where you can go to find these images. Exploring is how I like to do it but with limited time available you might want to refine your vision a little and ask John. He is extremely helpful. Moss Landing is a wonderful place to photograph and it is huge. You could spend a full day there and still not see it all but take some throw away shoes or hipwaders. And the old sand refractory can be a worthwhile shoot too. Take a look at Michael Kennas work to see the possibilities. Have fun. The Elephant seals are beached around end of April to middle June and should not be approached closely for your sake and theirs. Pebble Beach (not the one at Carmel but the one up north of Santa Cruz) is a wonderful place to shoot if you like abstracts. And yes the road leading from 101 to Carmel Valley is worth the trip. Very nice in the fog too. Mission San Antonio de Padua and Mission San Miguel are superb places to shoot. Carmel is a little too modern as is Mission San Juan Batista. For redwoods, Pfifer Big Sur State Park is beautiful too. But don't miss out on the galleries in Carmel. And the venue at The Highland Inn south of Carmel. Sheesh, I might as well take off again and go myself. See you there in two weeks.

Mission San Miguel is closed because of the earthquake damage it suffered recently.

If you're looking for unnerving architecture, check out Colma---its a necropolis! BTW, its very disturbing when someone comes up quietly behind you and taps you on the shoulder to ask "...is that a hasselblad?" when you're shooting in Colma;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

As far as film goes, I don't know for sure if they stock film, but Camera West in Monterey and Camera Club in Soquel(just South of Santa Cruz) might be good bets. Call in advance. Also, the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite now stocks 4x5. There is an Ansel Adams Gallery in Monterey---maybe they do as well....? FWIW, Adolph Gasser & Calumet in 'Frisco have 4x5.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Myrick's in Monterey carries LF film. Call them in advance if you want to be sure, and I am sure they would hold anything for you ( if you pay for it in advance!). Steve Myrick is a very nice gentleman and has a wonderful store.

Having lived in santa cruz for 8 years now, I would have to disagree about John's recomendation for camera club in capitola. In my experience, a good portion of their staff does not even KNOW what sheet film is. You will most likely be met by blank stares if you ask..... Furthermore, they do not and have not carried sheet film for as long as I've been here. I'm not saying this out of spite, but simple frustration that a business calling themselves a camera store is not willing to cater to serious photographers especially in such a photogenic area!! Fortunately, there is a WONDERFULL photography store in the area called Monterey Bay Photo Mart. It is nearby in capitola at 2855 park avenue just off of highway 1. Richard and is Mother who run the store are polite, friendly and full of knowledge. They carry 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 in stock. You may have to call in advance to be sure they have 8x10, but they always have Kodak and Illford offerings in 4x5 and 5x7. Their phone number is 831-476-4141. Have a good time, and don't forget to check out the elephant seals!

Dave Karp

Tom,

Bring lots of film. You will be so pumped up after the workshop that you will want to photograph everything in sight.

James, could you elaborate a bit on the refractory north of Monterey that you mention (location, etc)?

Thank you,

JK