Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference between 150 Tessar and 150 Xenar?

Re: Difference between 150 Tessar and 150 Xenar?

I went down an picked up the camera yesterday. The Tessar in a rim-set Compur. I does not look to be coated, but that could just be that I don't know what to look for. The Xenar is a pretty little thing, It is also in a compur. I'm going to mount it on a lens board and take it out with my Chamonix and shoot the same photo with both and see if I can tell any differences. I'll also see if there is any difference in image circle based on pure observation. Now that I have them both hand in hand, I can say that the Xenar is only slightly larger than the Tessar. Looking at it in a photo when mounted on the camera made it look bigger than it was. It is, however a little larger. It is definitely coated. I doubt if I'll be able to get out this weekend, but I'll try to do a serious comparison of the two and post what I find out here. It should be fun regardless of the results.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I'd also consider the smoothness/roundness of the aperture blades when comparing the two lenses. It's sometimes not desirable to see iris shapes in the background of photos when you could be seeing a smooth round bokeh like the Tessar style is known for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Schneider made Xenars from no later than 1931 until fairly recently.
    And Carl Zeiss still does! Check out the lens on the soon-to-be-released Nokia Lumina 900 - a Carl Zeiss Tessar.

http://stuffmideast.com/2012/01/12/1...kia-lumia-900/

There are better images of the lens on the phone out there, but I couldn't find it easily. So the Tessar lives on.

Cheers, Steve

Interesting, Steve. I wondered whether Nokia's Tessars are the classic four elements in three groups design or just a trade name. It seems they're the classic type: http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/...ers/nokia.html

There's a Schneider 120mm f4.5 Xenar in a rimset Compur with a SN 307** that was made 1929/30, most likely 1929 and there was an early one in a Dial set cCompr for sale recently from MW Classic a online UK store. My own 150mm f5.6 Xenar has a very late SN 1478**** which is possible 2002, however it's thought the elemenst were made in the mid to late 90's and assembled years later and sold off cheaply through a very small no of dealers Robert White & MrCad in the UK I think Badger Graphics in the US.

Ian

I does not look to be coated,

Hello from France, congratulations for your Tessar.

A few things that we can add here is that you should not pay too much attention to the fact that the lens migh be coated, multi-coated, or not coated at all. In a (4/3) tessar design you have only 6 air-glass interfaces and the maximum field angle never exceds 60°. Both features tend to "naturally" reduce stray light whether the lens is coated or not, if compared to a 6/4 design covering over 70°.
    If you have the serial number of this tessar lens, most probably the resources available on this group will help you to find the year of manufacture.
    After the 2-nd World War, most, if not all German photographic lenses covering 60° were coated. Apo-repro lenses for studio work covering a narrower angle of view, were less in urgent need of beaing coated, though.
    Nevertheless, roughly speaking for a tessar or a xenar, before WW-II = not coated; after = coated, and last generation, Schneider xenars = (probably ??) multi-coated.
    An interesting evolution of the design in the last generations of tessar-xenar lenses is that "fast" 4.5 apertures were eventuallly abandoned by some manufacturers.
    The last Schneider Xenars for view cameras in 150 and 210 mm had a max aperture of 5.6 and 6.1, respectively. I have the vague idea that this evolution was driven by trying to slighty increase the image circle and overall image sharpness, as far as a 4/3 formula (1-st patent = 1902 !!) can go. And also to reduce size & weight (xenar 5.6 / 150 = 170 grams including shutter !)

Nikon had on catalogue the Nikkor-M series, tessar designs with a purposedly limited max aperture to f/9 like an apo-repro lens; the Nikkor-M lens being intended to be a long focal length and not a general purpose lens covering 55-60°.

However I have an excellent 210 mm Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar of the sixties with the traditional f/4.5 max aperture.

Enjoy your tessars !