Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many film holders will fit inside a f.64 8x10 backpack?

How many film holders will fit inside a f.64 8x10 backpack?

Anyone out there with a 8x10 'dorff and an f.64 backpack?? How do you like it & how many film holders can you fit inside with the camera? Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have a Zone VI 8x10 I carry with a f64 pack and can take 3 holders.

John,

I use the f64 with a Phillips 8x10 and have used the same pack with a Wista 8x10. First, there is a separate zipper compartment on the outside of the pack specifically designed for 8x10 holders. That compartment easily holds three holders and you can comfortably get a fourth in there, although I am not sure about getting the zipper colse dif the fourth holder isn't one of the newer ones with rounded sices. I just went and checked and the four holders fit fine. Additionally, you may be able to squeeze an additional holder or two on top of your camera inside the pack depending on the depth of the camera. I sorta doubt that would be possible with a Dorff as it is not possible with my Phillips. I DO put my darkcloth (a BTZS 8x10 hood) on top of the camera in the main compartment.

For today's humor ...... thanks for the question, I have not been using the pack for 8x10 for the past 3-4 months and when I opened it up to test the number of holders lo and behold I found a Calumet 7x loupe that has been missing forever!

I use the f.64 backpack to carry my Deardorff. I can fit four in the outside compartment that's designed for holders, and I think I could probably fit a fifth holder in the main compartment along with the camear body and dark cloth (mine's kind of thick when folded, so this is also a factor). I only own four 8x10 holders, though, so I've never had the chance to really test the full capacity.

A word of caution using the f64 backpack. Always make sure the compartment that hold the lens and light meter,etc. is zipped close before you sling the pack over to your back, I didn't ! I chased a fuji 450, nikkor 300 and a few others along with assorted goodies down a granite boulder towards a raging river. Lucky a small ledge with a pool of water caught most of my equiptment. Took the fuji 450 apart and with the defroster and my handkerchief I wicked the water from blades and lens elements. Works fine but I sure make sure all is zipped close after that.

My Deardorff and focusing cloth fit in the large compartment and three holders fit comfortably in the zippered compartment. I put my meter in one of the side pockets, tools and misc. in the other and lenses, loupe, cable releases go in the upper compartment. My filter pouch fits comfortably over the camera.

Thanks for all the great advice! The f.64 sounds like a winner. The ski boot bag just dosn't off the kind of protection I'm looking for. Happy New Year!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I recently purchased this bag and really like it. I bought it directly from the factory for the cheapest price around. Good people to deal with.

I can fit 6 holders. 4 in the pouch in front and 2 with the camera and darkcloth in the main compartment. Tight but the zippers do close.

John,

Another word of caution: The f64 backpack might look alike an attractive solution, but you will probably soon realize that it is not designed or manufactured like a serious backpack.

First of all, there is no frame whatsoever. So when you load it up with your 8x10, three holders, three lenses, a serious tripod, and then tighten the waistbelt, the whole bag will fold in half out from your back, pulling your shoulders back instead of putting the main load on your back. This is not a matter of fitting the pack but of a most serious design flaw.

Second, the waistbelt and the shoulder straps are just too flimsy for the load of an 8x10 system.

I would recommend that you try before you buy. I did not, and I now have an f.64 XL pack for sale. Look at the Lowepro packs instead. I got the Supertrekker AW II which feels great at 27 kgs (the f.64 pack was ruining my back at half that weight), but you might be able to fit your 8x10 system in the ProTrekker.