Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Induro tripod?

Which Induro tripod?

Hey guys, I'm about to invest in an Induro tripod for my Deardorff V8 and 305 G-Claron lens. I've got an opportunity to get the AT-313 model for pretty cheap, but I was also looking at the 413 model. I was looking at the specs and there wasn't too much different from either one except the 413 is almost 2 pounds heavier. I'm using a heavy ball head with the Bogen 3051 legs which is getting too much to tote around(pulled a back muscle yesterday). Any suggestions?

Re: Which Induro tripod?

I have the 413, and while it is on the heavy side, it's light compared to other tripods in its class.
    It's used with a Manfrotto 229 head, itself no lightweight, but I've been able to lug that around for a year now, happily and without problem.
    I don't suffer from back problems, though.

If you go with the 313, it will easily support your V8 and any modern lens you may use.
    The reason I chose the 413 was for my Toyo 810G, and the tripod handled it easily; now I only shoot 4x5, but the tripod is just as valuable to me.

These are very well-made tripods, on a par with Gitzos in build quality, so either way, you can't go wrong.

I should add that much depends upon how and where you like to work.
    If you are a backpacker, the 413 will probably reduce your back to rubble in short order.

I work in the city all the time, so one of these is not only essential for getting around, it has probably saved my back:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._III_Cart.html

Put my case on it, tripod on top, and I can walk all day, provided it's a hard surface.

Scott Davis

I have an Induro 314 which is very light, very strong, and can hold anything I've got up to an 8x10 without a wiggle. If your budget can stand it, I'd go the carbon fiber route to save a lot on weight.

I just took a look at B&H's prices and specs for the 314 and 413 tripods.
    The 413 is indeed 2 lbs (just under 1kg) heavier, but is about $330 cheaper.

I'd say that if you're set on getting a CF tripod, you might want to research your options a little more, as there are a number of well-made, lighter and reasonably-priced CF tripods out there.
    Look at the Triopo line if you get a chance; they're not as well-built as Induros, but they can certainly take the load.
    You just have to wait for the wind to die down before pressing the shutter release.

I use the alloy 413 (AT413) for 5x7 and have really loved it. I hike with it and don't have a problem carrying it around with the rest of my setup for many miles. My only complaint is that isn't designed to be used without a center column. As such, I have the center column tightened down and just never use it. Functionally it has been excellent and an amazing value.

Scott Davis

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it, but buying a tripod that doesn't hold your camera steady in a breeze is not money well spent. Better to haul around the extra 2 lbs of the alloy Induro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I just took a look at B&H's prices and specs for the 314 and 413 tripods.
    The 413 is indeed 2 lbs (just under 1kg) heavier, but is about $330 cheaper.

I'd say that if you're set on getting a CF tripod, you might want to research your options a little more, as there are a number of well-made, lighter and reasonably-priced CF tripods out there.
    Look at the Triopo line if you get a chance; they're not as well-built as Induros, but they can certainly take the load.
    You just have to wait for the wind to die down before pressing the shutter release.

I own an Induro C313 that I purchased a few years ago. My advice is to save your money and buy a Gitzo or RRS TVC-33. Below are the problems I experienced with my Induro:

1. Bolts that connect the legs to the apex are zinc coated and not stainless. I noticed rusting after a trip through the Canadian Rockies and Pacific Northwest.
    (Not a huge problem, it can be dealt with.)

2. The rubber material that covered the leg locks stripped off on one leg when I checked to make sure that the legs were locked.
    (It still works, I just have to be a little more careful when locking the legs, so as not to accidentally over-tighten and strip the rubber from the hard plastic).

3. The center column on the tripod while nice and steady for 35mm gear, does not lock completely for my 4x5 camera. No matter how secure I tighten the column it still has a little bit of play.
    (This is something I just couldn't live with. Because often my camera would move slightly when loading and unloading film, causing me to have to go back and re-compose and check my focus).

There were some other minor problems that I had with the Induro, but I won't mention them here becuase I was easily able to resolve them.

My recommendation is to get a tripod that has a higher build quality than the Induro, be it wood or carbon fiber. In contrast, the Gitzo GT5541LS that I now use is much more solid than the Induro.

I plan to modify my Induro tripod by removing the center column in order to make it a backup tripod, maybe after this modification the Iduro tripod will be significantly improved.

-DP

Daniel, I thought, too, that the center column didn't lock down tightly; I found that my tripod head had worked itself a little loose from the tripod.
    Using the supplied wrench, I tightened it up and haven't run into this problem since.
    I also removed the head, and tightened the center screw at the tripod's apex.
    As for the other stuff you mention, I've had a completely different experience with Induro.

Scott Davis

Ditto what Ari said. Although I haven't heavily used my Induro, I do take it around town frequently and I've flown out to San Francisco and used it there for urban and wilderness shooting (a hike up the redwood canyon in the Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve by Half Moon Bay). Everything on it has been rock solid, no wiggles, no slippage. I'll be bringing it back out to SF with me later this year when I take my next vacation. I've had no issues with the center column locking - It has held my 5x12 just fine, in both horizontal and vertical positioning, even with exposures of up to 3 minutes.