Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sinar 4x5 camera

jadphoto

Re: Sinar 4x5 camera

Louie,

I used to be one of those who preferred a 135 over a 150 as my standard lens. Then I discovered that framing a scene with the 135 and then taking one long pace backward gave me the same cropping on a 150. Go figure. Either works fine, although I hate the practice of calling them a "normal" lens. To me, that implies that it's a focal length that you should use. Only if it fits your vision.

When I was in school, if I remember back that far, Timothy O'Sullivan may have been one of the instructors, we were told/ordered to start with a 210 and build our lens system only after we really knew what that focal length would do. I actually still suggest the same thing to my students. At least those who will listen.

I agree with Frank et al on shorter lenses. I have a 65 and a 75 and rarely use them, they just seem to include too much. Then maybe I just haven't used them enough to understand how/when to use them. David Muench sure does nice stuff with them.

Don't let all of this information paralyze you, if you have a lens, any lens, load holders, grab the camera and go shoot. It's the only way you'll make sense of all of our pontificating. (Instead of pontificating we too should be out shooting perhaps????)

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Devincentis View Post
    Thank-you Peter, Ari and Frank for answering my question. I think I will be fine with the 135mm for now maybe a future birthday or anniversary might hold a 90mm, better start dropping hints.
    Again thanks.
    Louie
    Before you buy a lens(es) you will want to do a bit of reading about camera movements and lens coverage circles. Briefly, a great advantage of a view camera is the ability to control perspective and planes of focus by moving the lens with respect to the film plane. The extent to which one can do this depends on the coverage circle of the particular lens.

The reason that I mention this is that many 135mm lenses have surprisingly (to me at least) coverage circles. The coverage circle of 150mm lenses if often significantly greater - this means a 150mm as your normal lens could enable you take greater advantage of the capabilities of your fine new camera.

Thanks Joseph, Alan and John.
    I think I will experiment with this lens and see where it takes me.
    Cheers.
    Louie