Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for alternative daylight developing methods (in very small bathroom)

Looking for alternative daylight developing methods (in very small bathroom)

Hey guys,

Currently I'm developing my negatives in my tiny bathroom using a Paterson Orbital processor. While this has been working, I'm not 100% satisfied with the results I'm getting as I find that I'm not getting uniform development and sometimes getting patches of under or overdevelopment on the negatives. I'm not going to give it up entirely but I wouldn't mind experimenting with some alternative methods and am looking for some advice.

At the moment, I have a tiny bathroom and simply don't have the room to do tray development - although will be moving to a new place in June so will be looking for a larger bathroom in my next rental place! But in the meantime, what alternatives could I try? My bathroom can't really be blacked out as I have high ceilings and vents at the top so making the place light-tight will be quite a task, and so really I need a daylight method.

What I do have is one of these Ilford Cibachrome processing drums - as can be seen at http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260967182...#ht_500wt_1191. It's for 8x10 but I'm not sure if that would work as a daylight drum or not.

Cheers!

Welly

Re: Looking for alternative daylight developing methods (in very small bathroom)

What size film do you intend to process?

Re: Looking for alternative daylight developing methods (in very small bathroom)

Ah yes.. 4x5 and medium format. Eventually, possibly maybe 8x10 but not any time soon.

you can try this:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/
    in truth, I've been futzing around with these sort of drums for several years and I've finally given up. My results have never been perfect, ever, and are inconsistent. This is regardless of the brand of drum I use, developer or rotating base.

Jay DeFehr's "Taco" method I think might be preferable:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/digi-fi...7627864733730/

I've only tried this once and had pretty ok results. I need to fine tune it but then ended up with the drums. So...I'd give that a try.

There's also the HP Combiplan tanks, the Mod photographic holders that can go in Patterson drums. Other stuff too I can't think of at the moment.

Octogenarian

Hi Welly, remember me?

One way, or the other, you will need a method of loading film into a developing tank in total darkness. This can be accomplished with a dark bag or tent, if necessary.

Find a previously owned Jobo expert drum and a rotating motor drive. It will be a big investment, but will save time and energy.

Try a Pyro developer.

Hi Gem Singer, of course!

I'm using a change bag at the moment to get film into my Paterson so that's not a problem. Funnily enough, I found a Jobo CPE2 advertised on a local free ads website, which had already been sold. However the guy said he also had a Jobo CPA2 processor for sale too. I think that might actually be perfect as it'll control the temperature as well. So I might try and pick that up from him and possibly try my hand at colour developing. Does anyone rate the CPA2? From my brief search on Google, it seems to be a pretty decent product.

Out of Plumb

I got on e of these. I have yet to process any film. Hopefully tonight I will and check back in.

http://www.mod54.com/index.php
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

Combi-Plan T 45 daylight processing tank. All steps, other then film loading, are done in full light. Up to 6 color 45 at a time. 12 B & W can be done back to back at one time. Add a hose and it becomes a force film washer. It's foot print is smaller then any other method. Inversion agitation so no more rolling or sloshing of chemistry.

BTZS tubes worked well for me for many years for 4x5. They take up little space, are used in room light once the film is in the tubes, use very little chemistry, don't cost much, and work well. There's already a ton of information here about the BTZS tubes so no need to repeat it all, just search here using those four letters. For medium format just pick up a Paterson or any other brand tank and spool (I preferred the plastic spools to the metal, I thought they were easier to load). Unfortunately I just threw away a bunch of the Patersons or I would have given them to you.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

For low-cost, simplicity, kitchen sink convenience, repeatability, agitate or stand, can't beat the Taco.