Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
It amazes me how insecure photographers are about their art work. "Is black and white more artistic then color?" "Am I more of an artist because I develop myself?". Maybe it's feelings of insecurity because you're not painting?

Most of my artistic background comes from music. I played guitar in metal bands when I was younger, then DJ'd professionally during the rave scene hay days in San Francisco. In the music world you hear the same sort of insecure comments from veteran DJs now - "I'm more of an artist because I use vinyl instead of computers". My response is A) you're still not playing an instrument b) it doesn't effing matter - do you enjoy what you do? Do others? GREAT!. I hear the same thing from guys that play in punk bands - they look down on electronic musicians because they "don't play real instruments". Dude, you're whole musical movement was based on getting completely AWAY from the virtuosity of hard rock, and you can't play a decent solo to save your life. However, it doesn't effing matter. Just enjoy your art, and let others enjoy theirs. Your art is no better.

By contrast, my friends that are comfortable with their musical abilities tend to be much more open minded about other forms of music creation. A guy that plays metal has no problem jamming with a jazz musician, or an electronic one. They just want to play anything they can get their hands on.
I never met an ''artist'' who had to describe his art in terms of what pencil he draws with or the brand of paint or brushes. Photographers on the other hand are "craft" oriented and the detail is in the materials.