In the next couple of days, I intend to purchase a daypack or messenger bag for a 4x5 camera that meets airline carry-on restrictions (length plus width plus height of the bag cannot exceed 45 inches/114 cm).

The pack or bag must be suffiiciently large to hold an Arca-Swiss 4x5 with one attached lensboard and 12 inch rail, one box of sheet film, a loupe, a darkcloth, a Nikon N/F80 with a 35mm lens, a small can of compressed air, a Lenspen and a couple of filters. It would be helpful, but not critical, if there was sufficient room for an additional lensboard/lens and Nikkor 24 and 85mm lenses.

I want to be able to comfortably carry this equipment in urban and rural areas. Carrying time will not be more than eight hours, with lots of opportunities for rest periods. I want a pack or bag that will not expose the equipment to being banged around, while also being as light as possible. It would be nice to have a pack to which I can attach my tripod (a Gitzo carbon fiber 1325), but it may be just as easy to carry it by hand.

Today, I looked at an Osprey Eclipse backpack (which apparently could carry the tripod) and one of the larger Crumpler messenger bags. Tomorrow, I'm going to have a look at the Lightware backpack and some Lowepro packs. I suspect that the Lightware pack may exceed airline restrictions, and from what I have seen of Lowepro packs, they tend to be heavy and, perhaps, overkill for what I need.

I'd appreciate suggestions/comments from anyone who is usiing a bag in a similar way that also meets carry-on restrictions. Thanks.