Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much should Schneideritis affect the price of a lens?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: How much should Schneideritis affect the price of a lens?

I agree that there is no definitive answer, but I wouldn't call it a 'troll post". It seems like a sincere question about a very difficult and prickly situation.

If nothing else, though, it might inspire someone to write in iPhone app using Frank's LF lens buying formulas!

Noah have you taken any images yet with the lens? Unless you have it is currently a collectors piece or a piece of man jewellery.
    The other point to consider - if you are displeased with your lens what reaction have you had from the seller when you contacted him about it?

Museum piece - pay the price and be ever so vigilant ; User glass - get it inexpensive and send photons by the billions through it. I love my " not to worry about" glass.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but that's OK.

I won't buy ANY Schneider lens, regardless of condition, because of the Schneideritis problem.

My concern is not with the problem itself.
    It's the fact that the company ignores a problem that's so common and has been around so long that it has a name.

If this is an example of their concern for their product quality and their customers, I don't want to deal with them.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

funkadelic

Why do you think you would be flamed? it's just your purchasing decisions based on fact. It's hard to dispute this part of Schneider's history for those that have held it in their hands.

I'd insist the original seller gives you a full refund plus all shipping costs both ways. Then I'd settle on a $150 partial refund. That isn't a popular lens these days and $450 for a nice one is too much, so when you add the Schneideritis you'd be lucky to get $300 for it if you sold it.

I'm sure there are higher and lower examples out there and don't follow the prices, that's just my gut.

The one thing I know is that mint is like new and having a star field of paint flakes ain't new.

I purchased my really nice Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 lens off Ebay for $75 to $100 cheaper than I have seen similar copies go for due to a slight bit of "Sneideritis". Either that or I just got lucky!

"..troll"? "a piece of man jewellery[sic]"? Really? My inquiry was sincere, and thanks to those of you who offered good advice.

I probably spend more time actually photographing than 90% of the people on this forum. It's my job. I also use my equipment hard and I'm not a collector. This year alone I've lugged my gear to Mumbai and Mexico City and have trips planned to Lagos and Cairo. I'm not a collector, not that there's anything wrong with collectors.

Despite all that, I don't like being ripped off or taken advantage of. I don't mind a non-pristine lens and as some have mentioned, a beater piece of kit can be more fun since it's value is already shot, you can use it without worrying about it too much. But I feel like I didn't pay for a beater, I paid for an optically perfect and mechanically like-new lens, so I wanted some opinions on how the imperfections would affect the value.

I've offered the seller two options, a return for refund including return shipping or a $150 credit, at frank's suggestion. We'll see how it goes...

Good luck Noah. I would do the same. I also take photos, but like to know that I won't lose out money if I decide to move on a lens because of someone else's inaccurate description.

Its not about performance. Its about whether Noah will end up a few hundred dollars worse off when he sells or could have bought a lens in that condition for $150 less!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but that's OK.

I won't buy ANY Schneider lens, regardless of condition, because of the Schneideritis problem.

My concern is not with the problem itself.
    It's the fact that the company ignores a problem that's so common and has been around so long that it has a name.

If this is an example of their concern for their product quality and their customers, I don't want to deal with them.

- Leigh
    Leigh, it's a tough way to live. I know people who have been offended for one reason or another by Rodenstock, and won't buy from them. Pretty soon, folks will have to grind their own lenses to avoid offending themselves. Given that Schneider neither sees nor profits from the secondary sale on the used market, one wonders who is being punished.

I own both Rodenstock and Schneider lenses, and none have failed to deliver superb performance. Of my six Schneider lenses, only one shows sufficient Schneideritis to have attracted my attention, and it's a very old Symmar Convertible.

While in my experience it does not affect performance, it does affect resale value, so I expect a lens with Schneideritis to be appropriately priced. I've gotten some good deals on great glass that way. Noah is doing the right thing.

Rick "noting that it took Rodie a few years to solve the element separation problem on old Grandagons--a problem that does affect performance" Denney