Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing Leaf Shutter with an iPhone?

Testing Leaf Shutter with an iPhone?

I am an e-idiot (and maybe an i-idiot too). with that said: Is there a way to use an iphone or ipad to test the adduracy of a leaf shutter lens?

I would hope that there is some way that reads out directly in fractional shutter speeds, or even miliseconds.

Anybody know how or have any ideas on this?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Testing Leaf Shutter with an iPhone?

On a computer u can use Audacity. I'm sure there's a similar app out there.

Using Audacity and a microphone to test the accuracy of the low speeds might work, but I think above 1/30s you'll have trouble getting an accurate sounding of the exact open/close point. I could be wrong, but I don't see it being that accurate, as I can't really tell by ear a 1/400 from a 1/100.

Also, testing with an iPhone may work with the low speeds, but again, at 30 FPS, the highest speed you could possibly be sure of is 1/30.

There's a document here about testing leaf shutters with a CRT TV....

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-shutter.html

Additionally I could suggest loading up some instant film, getting an accurate reading of a controllable luminance value (IE indoors, light on a wall) and testing your shutter by checking the exposures that it produces rather than trying to directly measure the speed.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

After a bit of searching, the "Audacity" test seems reliable even up to the high speeds. I'll have to give that a try myself.

Here's another method:

http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/vie...eb3189fc64d7e4
    Please, call me Erik.
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Hello everyone,

I am new to this issue and not an electronic DIY guy. I have a passing understanding of current, resistance and so on, but don't really understand circuts or how the various components interact.

With all that said: I am interested in the concept of using a light sensor to generate an audio signal and analysing it with a computer. Having read this thread and some of the links: Does it work as a practical matter?m Is there a definative set of directions for the hardware?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I can try making one this next week and let you know. If it works, I'll let you borrow my rig from me, or build one for you.
    Please, call me Erik.

Why couldn't you video the shutter opening and closing and then in a video editing program measure the time light is present? I'm not too familiar with video editing, but seem to recall you could measure scenes in fractions of a second?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Why couldn't you video the shutter opening and closing and then in a video editing program measure the time light is present? I'm not too familiar with video editing, but seem to recall you could measure scenes in fractions of a second?
    Most video cameras record at 24 or 30 frames per second, so above 1/30s its not a reliable way to time a shutter. To do truly reliable timing of shutters with video, youd need a framerate of at LEAST 500fps, and these high-speed video cameras are NOT cheap.
    Please, call me Erik.

Okay. That explains it. It that a hardware rate or software rate? Could you write a program that would instruct the camera to video at a higher rate, or is the rate determined by hardware.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but in this area I am uneducated.

Not using an iphone but it may work for you http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html
    Questions and comments are always welcome