Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consistent Printing Over Time For The Same Negative

Consistent Printing Over Time For The Same Negative

I just reprinted a really neat B&W negative. As a matter of practice, I always keep the best print as a reference, and I keep a print record so I know the amount of dodging, burning, etc., that I did. Yet, it's still difficult to get the same result. There can be so much variation in the darkroom printing process.

What do others do to obtain consistent results? Of course, one can improve the print, and tastes change over time. But, given that one wants the same print as before, what steps can one take to accomplish this task?

Sounds like you have done everything possible. I've found it very difficult if not impossible to exactly repaeat burning and dodgeing. The only method I know of to reduce this to a science is a selective masking technique as detailed in View Camera AugJuly 99 issue article by Alan Ross. It seems rather complex but could be the solution for you as the masks can be sotored with the neg for alter use.

Octogenarian

Hi Neil,

I have found that once I determine the proper exposure, contrast, and burning/dodging sequence, I expose three, or four sheets of paper using the same exact sequence. Then, I develope all of the sheets of paper at the same time. Shuffling them in the developer tray, similar to tray development of film. At least, I have a few prints that are as close to identical as I can possibly make. I store the extra prints in an archival box for future use.

I remember reading one of Michael Simith's articles on this, one factor he accounted for was that the time taken for the enlarger light to reach peak output was variable.

He then described a method where you turn on the enlarger light with the paper covered, wait a few seconds, then remove the cover to begin exposure.

When I was doing silver printing, the one factor that contribuited to consistent printing was using graded paper. I was never able to make the same print with VC paper, with graded paper this problem was solved.

But is 100% consistency always the goal? I bet even with the slight variations, the prints are still wonderful. Isn't the fact that every traditionally print is slightly different, especially with complicated dodge/burn moves, one of the attractions of the wet darkroom, knowing you've created a one of a kind work? This isn't quite the case with digital. Custom craft vs. flawless replication through technology.

RJ

The obvious answer would be to have it scanned, digitally processed, and profiled. I'm assuming you're looking for something other than the obvious though.

Guy

You can also use a timer (or metronome) that beeps every second to precisely time your dodging and burning. Also, as was mentioned above, expose all of the prints at once and then develop them in fresh developer. You should then have almost exact results. Almost.

How different is striving for identical hand-made prints any different from "identical" copies generated by computer controlled laser-optical enlargers or an inkjet printer. Nevertheless, I think one answer is that photographers often made a new master negative by copying the best or desired print and then contact printed that negative for editions. Much like the LensWork Special Editions prints, which are contact printed on fiber base paper through an imagesetter-generated negative—or Hollywood films for most of this century. Look at the some of the dodging and burning "game plans" in photo articles over the years; they make an NFL coach's "chalkboard" look like grade school stuff! I never believed them. The best analogy is traditional printmaking where a plate could be inked and wiped and printed by hand to get an as close as possible series-that could run into the low hundreds. How much better to accept interpreting that negative or plate anew each time it is printed. GOOD LUCK.

I regularly make batches of prints with excellent consistency, some from negatives that require considerable manipulation. I generally warm up the Aristo VCL 4500 head while I'm preparing my trays of chemistry. I have a printing recipe for every negative and for those requiring detailed, localized dodging and burning, I make an Alan Ross DB mask as described in numerous recent articles by Howard Bond. I use a Gra-lab electronic timer and am generally working at exposure times under 20 seconds. My paper is always VC fiber. I think a lot of people have trouble making several prints because they haven't found the simplest way to make the first print. Finding the best contrast grade(s) of paper or filter(s) for the negative is for me the first and most important step. I then nail down the best exposure time. What isn't perfect by this stage is what will get dodged and burned. Some printers will use localized bleaching and I have no objection to that, just prefer to do all my manipulation with light. I make certain my chemistry is fresh and the temperature is the same. Small variations in paper batches sometimes require a small adjustment, but other than that, I've had no trouble at all.