Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The old 'what the best lenses' question

Re: The old 'what the best lenses' question

I have no affiliation with the seller Mortensen mentioned, but these are fine lenses in apparently new condition at great prices. I'd buy at least the 90 and 210, and probably the 115 too since it's such a great lens and great focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudgey View Post
    Sorry to ask this old question, but your collective pool of wisdom will save me a lot of time and money.

After selling all my 10x8 kit a few years ago, I'm now in the process of coming back to large format (cannot keep away) this time with 5x4.
    Some of you may have seen my last post deciding on what type of Ebony camera to go for, I have decided upon a new SV45TE (folding).

I'm now looking for a range of lenses from 90mm - 450mm, I understand you have to buy the new version of the Schneider Super-Angulon XL 90mm for it to fit the Ebony?
    I intend to use this camera for my fine art work of which is a mixed bag from studio close-up (no more than 1-1) to landscape etc. I have around £3k ($4750) to spend, happy to buy second hand for the right lens.

If you were buying again what would you do, buy a few of the latest new (I'm sure they are not a new design however?) or more S/H? What lenses are considered the best in your view.
    Hi Ridgely
    for you and any other interested folks, I created a paper for that kind of LF information back in the late 60's or early 70's, email me at lynn@austincc.edu
    Lynn

Color? B&W? Contact? Enlargement?

If you are shooting B&W with colored filters in low contrast settings you can get exquisite sharp photographs with certain old, single coated lenses. Since it seems everyone wants a blurry look, these lenses can very inexpensive.

If you are doing color murals then you need something else.

The Calter IIN 150mm/5.6 is just a sweet little lens. I think I bought it new in the early 80's for $239 or so. It cost a little more than the Calumet/Gowland 4x5 PocketView I bought new from Calumet at the same time ($220). It was my only lens for 4x5 for many years. Have fun with LF!

Vaughn

Barring getting a "look" unique to some old lenses, it seems pretty simple to me, depending on how wide you want your focal lengths to span:

Schneider 47 XL, 58, 72, Nikkor 90, Schneider Symmar-S or newer APO 150, 210, maybe 135 if you like that FL, Nikkor-M 300, 450, or for teles the 360/500/720 set. Done.

I like modern glass so I guess I'm biased. Throw in a Verito and/or Heliar for special purposes maybe.

Of course I guess this'll be discussed to death, but I'm not well-versed in vintage lenses enough to comment about them. I will say a 100-year-old single-coated lens I stole from a Kodak 3C folder looked pretty much identical to a modern lens on b&w film when stopped down to f/22. So that's to say both that modern lenses don't necessarily matter and that vintage lenses don't necessarily look any different or "special." That lens might have had slightly less detail/resolution at a huge print size but that's about it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The Kodak 203mm f/7.7 Ektar works for me, as does a Wollensak 168mm Velostigmat series II and a 215mm Ilex Acuton. Cheap lenses, reliable shutters, great glass, I'm happy
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Well I sure wouldn't look at putting together a kit of lenses as as filling out a finalized list of must-haves. You can't use every lens you have every time you shoot. Have a tentative list if you must , but I would buy the best available lens at the best price at the time, and shoot with that while waiting for another choice piece to hit the used market at a good price.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by mortensen View Post
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-8-Grandagon-N

By a lot of people assumed to be among the best lenses out there in their respective focal lengths, available in LN condition from the same seller (whom I have no affiliation with). If you can afford a new Ebony, you can afford this, too. Just sayin'...
    Thanks Mortensen, just purchased the 90 & 210 from him!
    http://www.architecturalphotos.net

Answer to the "Re: The old 'what the best lenses' question
    The lens thats out on your snout when the light is perfect
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Great choices if you can afford them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Barring getting a "look" unique to some old lenses, it seems pretty simple to me, depending on how wide you want your focal lengths to span:

Schneider 47 XL, 58, 72, Nikkor 90, Schneider Symmar-S or newer APO 150, 210, maybe 135 if you like that FL, Nikkor-M 300, 450, or for teles the 360/500/720 set. Done.

I like modern glass so I guess I'm biased. Throw in a Verito and/or Heliar for special purposes maybe.

Of course I guess this'll be discussed to death, but I'm not well-versed in vintage lenses enough to comment about them. I will say a 100-year-old single-coated lens I stole from a Kodak 3C folder looked pretty much identical to a modern lens on b&w film when stopped down to f/22. So that's to say both that modern lenses don't necessarily matter and that vintage lenses don't necessarily look any different or "special." That lens might have had slightly less detail/resolution at a huge print size but that's about it.